Dana 44 change

swesley

I guess I'm kinda of a newbie! I've got a 73 cj5 with the Dana 44 in the rear. It has leaked since the day I got the jeep. Not a lot just a seep. I don't know how long this has been going on so I'm changing out the gasket and the fluid. Couple of questions:
Is the Dana 44 a limited slip differential?
How much and what type of gear oil to do you recommend?
Do you recommend any additives other than the gear oil?

Thanks

The Dana 44 could be a limited slip, you wont really know till you get the cover off. If the carrier is just spider gears and a pin then its open. If it has clutches then it was a limited slip if the clutches havent been replaced since 1973 they probably need replaced. 90w gear oil, a friction additive if it is limited slip. Hope that helps.

Vanover said:
The Dana 44 could be a limited slip, you wont really know till you get the cover off. If the carrier is just spider gears and a pin then its open. If it has clutches then it was a limited slip if the clutches havent been replaced since 1973 they probably need replaced. 90w gear oil, a friction additive if it is limited slip. Hope that helps.

Thanks.

Most limited slip differentials have a tag under one of the bolt covers reminding you to use a friction modifier additive. Unless it's been removed over the years.

Use straight gear oil unless it's a limited slip, then add the friction modifier. Fill to the fill hole in the cover.

Thank goodnees I was right Bounty Hunter, But out all my old CJs that seemed to be the case. I was hoping I steerd him down the right path. If I aver steer somebody down the wrong path please straighten me out. Lord knows Ive gave out some wrong advice, not on purpose hearsay,which Ive heard plenty those Hopefully I can help give the correct info. I'm from the foot hills of kentucky's so Im liable to hear anthing right or wrong but that I believe I was close to bieng right

Food for though, not sure how much of a "newbie" you are? You may want to reach placing the "bearings and seals" on your axle. It's not hard to do if you are prepared. I don't mean to insult you if have done this before.

I like to mix Lucas oil additive to my gear oil at about 50/50, seems to work well for me.

Back