Dashboard issues.

Jeepdreamer

Not an uncommon issue it sounds like, and although most seem similar to mine, most seem able to smack their dashboard a bit to get it to come back on.

Took my 97' Wrangler in to my mechanic on Monday. Usually the guy is killer on my Jeep, he alters them for a living. I had him replace my Exhaused Manifold, which was cracked, and replace my Front Left and right axle joints. I also asked them to investigate the cause of a leak that had appeared that weekend. Turns out my transfer case, rear pinion seak, and valv cover gasket were leaking. I had them fix all.
There's the background.
As far as I'm aware I have a stock Jeep, nothing I'm aware of has been "upgraded".
I picked it up Wednesday, and on my way home I realized my dashboard is out. I have light, everything illuminates as usual, and the funky lights work. The stupid arrow that tells me when to shift, and my light that indicates I'm low on gas lights. However, my speedometer is out (which is a problem..), my RPM's are out, gas gauge, oil pressure, temperature, battery power all gone.

I took it back Tuesday, they tell me I blew a fuse, and replaced it. Took em 15-20 minutes. Headed home, and stopped at the store on my way. when I got back out to my jeep, the dashboard was dead again.

If It's a fuse, what might be causing it to short like this? Or are there any other idea's? Any would be appreciated.

Audge
(and for the record... I dont know my way around a car at all... This is going to be a fun learning experience...)

Sounds like a ground problem.
My dash squeeks, which seems pretty small compared to your dash having electrical issues, none the less, this squeek is killing me!

Not at all, just find (or have your mechanic find) the ground problem.
Usually a loose wire or a bad ground. :)

I would check the wiring from the cluster down to the lower bulkhead of the dash. Check for a chaffed wire that may be grounding or shorting to ground to another wire.

had this problem on a 95 yj not long ago. after following the prints i found the ac clutch, netural light, 4wheel drive engaged switch were all supplyed by this circuit (fuse 9 g5). i found the wires going to the switch for netural were damadged ....a little 33 super tape and the fuse hasnt blow since.

Last edited:
"{they tell me I blew a fuse}"
Last week my mechanic told me I blew a seal, I told him just fix the damn thing and leave my private life outta this.

Back