Death Valley

sillsmack

Hey Y'All,

Easter week I'm loading up the RV & hitching up our CJ and dragging it down south to spend a week of camping & wheelin in Death Valley.

Can someone recommend a good guide book which describes what & where and most importantly show maps in particular those great 4X4 trails Death Valley is known for.

After Death Valley became a National Park some of these trails were closed but I am hoping most are still open.

(As you can tell it has been some time since my last visit)

There are tons of guide books but which ones have 'Wheelers used and found useful ?

That is the rub

Thanks All

[addsig]

OK, I found this book :

California Desert Byways. Seemed to be just the ticket.
I bought it online.

Now how about a guide specifically about old mines & ghost towns & such ?
History and such. I'm a fool for that sort of nonsense.

Hope There are lots of wildflowers in DVNP Easter week.

My Wife is asking if one day while there, we can leave the Jeep in camp and cut & run to Las Vegas for Dinner and a drive down the strip which we have never seen.
Maybe...

Thanks Y'All!!!

[addsig]

Death Valley is cool, uh, hot, err, both. I was there in '94, training with the Army at the National Training Center. Got some 5-ton troop trucks stuck in a Wadi, front AND rear bumpers hung up on the banks. Be careful of the rattle snakes, and the Mojave Green, they're territorial, meaning they don't like intruders.

Also be careful you don't run across/over a desert tortoise, $1000 fine if they lose thier water. We had to reroute some convoys 'cuz of them.

Have fun, beautiful area, but dangerous. I was there in August and it was HOT :-O [addsig]

Death Valley was figgin picturesquete (s)? We camped in Panamint Valley (next one next to Death Valley)
We had a nice time while there. You'll enjoy it
[addsig]

Back