Diff & Locker advice

ATHiker

RE: shackles question (spring over)

Last question on my gear upgrade, My plan is to put new Ring & Pinion in the rear Dana 35 and front Dana 30 changing from the factory 3:07 to 4:11 with a Detroit locker in the rear. With my 31 in tires I am hoping this will keep it streetable. This work is beyond my talents and a rear garage in my area wants $1,700 for all the work with the gears and locker. Any advice about price for work, and if you would agree on the plan. Thanks in advance.

well a detroit locker runs around $600 and gears run about $150 a set. So there charging about $800 for labor give or take.

RE: a little more please

Doesn't sound too bad for price.

Why the Detroit if you want to keep it streetable? Sure pleny of Detroit lockers are driven on the street, but they're a handful.

Fog lites for a TJ

ATHiker said:
Last question on my gear upgrade..............

Aw, c'mon, you've got to be kidding, right? I don't think anyone on here has a "last question"! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ran out of Gas

YJ_Pilot
I have a 98 wrangler 2.5L 5spd. I think that these come stock with a rear Dana 35 and front Dana 30 but not sure. I have 31" tires on it that i just purchased and wanted to change the rearend. I am also thinking about a 4.11 cause i dont go too much off roading and want good gas milage. Can you post what i need to do this swap. I dont know if i just need the rear end gear or new drive shafts and others.

thanks

RE: Monday morning laughs

I was just told by a jeep dealer that my jeep comes with a 4.11 gear. Should i put a bigger one for better performance or leave it.

alright ...

some of the 98's have a dana 44 with a 3.73. I think that was for the 4.0L engine version.
Standard was a Dana 35 with 3.07 ratio for 1998. BUT my books tell me differently:

You should already have a 4.11 in it ... 2.5L, 5 speed

So -- please guys correct me if I am wrong.
And Daniel, crawl under your yeep and double check.

Cheerio

RE: Re: Diff & Locker advice

4cyl with a 5speed should already have 4.11 gears. And yes, it will be a Dana 30 front and Dana 35 back. All 4cyl 5spd models came with 4.11 gears though. But if you want to check, there should be a tag bolted on with the cover of each diff that tells the gear ratio.

Nathan

all 4 cylinders came with 4.11's, yj and tj's. with 31 inch tires a gear upgrade is probably not a good investment if you dont take it off road as much. just my .02 tho. i just dont see dropping 700-1700 depending on who does it to put in new gears. im still rolling my 4cyl with 35's and 4.11s, altho its not fun i still get 200 to the tank and can still roll 75 on the highway in 5th gear. 4.11's really arent too bad for 31's

i live in

I agree with currupt. I wouldn't worry about regearing until you get up to 33s.

currupt4130 said:
... im still rolling my 4cyl with 35's and 4.11s, altho its not fun i still get 200 to the tank and can still roll 75 on the highway in 5th gear. 4.11's really arent too bad for 31's

WOW ... 31's and I am getting 280/290 to the tank ...

Not quite accurate currupt... 4cyl automatics have 3.73's in the diffs. But ya dont see many of the beast (for good reason) so in most instances your correct. Just a little FYI there ;)

RE: welding spider gears

Green97TJ is correct. And the 2.5L auto is rated to tow 1000lbs less than the 2.5L 5spd. Not that towing is nice with the 4banger, but you get the drift ;)

Back