Do you grow your own food?

TerryMason

Administrator
Staff member
One guy I know has been talking about growing his own food. He has plans of buying $50 worth of seeds, growing food, then selling the $500 worth of seeds that came from it.

I grew up on 6 acres, and had about 3 acres of field / farm, complete with tractor (pretty small potatoes to any real farmer, if you'll pardon the pun). I just remember how much work it was, as a kid picking beans, pulling weeds, etc.

It got me thinking, how many of you guys are growing your own food? Is it a money saving thing, or something else?

I have a small garden to grow some stuff and consume as it ripens. I don't sell. I just like the fresh vegies. Tending it takes a little time every week but i don't seem to mind as much as i did when i was a kid.

I put out a garden every year, have since I was a kid and forced to do so.lol I love home grown tomatos. They're soo much better than store bought and the ones grown in a hot house that are hard and flavorless. They make great sauces and salsa or just a darn good sandwich. We can some and freeze some but mostly just enjoy it as it comes in and throughout the summer. I like to grill hamburgers or steaks and go get fresh peppers, onions and tomatos from the garden. I buy up sweet corn from a neighbor that has a big farm and generally freeze up 12dozen ear or so of ambrosia. It's soo sweet an I get it from him for 4dollars a doz. I also like to buy from local farmers that sell strait from their farm and cut out the middle man.

No. Food comes from the supermarket wrapped in plastic. I figure if I eat lots of preservatives and insecticides I'll live longer and mosquitoes won't bite me.

My girlfriend and I grow our own food. We have an outside garden and small orchard. We also have a 128 sq ft greenhouse. Gardening is not as much fun, as it is a necessity since we live 80 miles from the nearest grocery store. We usually go to town and stock up on staples about once a month. Only been doing this lifestyle for about 4 years and love it. Ironically, I was raised in the Foodservice business and I owned a couple of restaurants in a large city. I used to think all food came off the back of a big truck.

Last edited:
Back