How did, or why did you start wheeling?

Saurian

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: HAS ANYONE NOTICED RUBICON REAR BRAKES D

This is a very insightful topic, brought to you from Michigan Jeepers... Here's my lengthy (yeah, you know it's me :twisted: ) response to this quandary...

Ooh, good story...

:: cracks fingers ::

It all started waaaaaayyyy back when, when I was a small Sean, and a mere fraction as crazy as I am now. You know, those days when the world is bright and wonderful, and the only concern you have is when summer vacation ends, and will your 4th grade teacher end up being a bitch?

For as long as I could remember, my family went up to the property in Cheboygan County... We own 11 acres in the middle of the forest off a little 2 track (incidentally, right near a place that CC owns, I believe)... Between Indian River and Onaway... But anyway. All my happy thoughts were created, and still exist up there, sometimes, the vivid memory of the place is all that keeps me going, reminding me that there is still something good worth fighting for in this messed up congested angry world of ours... Every summer, for 10 days or so, just relaxing in the woods as a family...

Picture it... It's morning, but only just. The sun is just peeking up through the trees. It rained last night, it seemed to gently rain every night, so the trees and ground were moist with the dew. Dad would get up and start the campfire, while Mom would get the coffee going... As they woke up, I just took in the whole scene; the perfect breeze blowing through the trees as it got lighter and lighter with the sunrise... The scent of earth, wood smoke, and strong coffee... Next thing you know, Mom's making breakfast, and what a spread! Eggs, hash browns, bacon, pancakes, orange juice, milk, coffee if I wanted, with lots of cream and sugar (which is how I still drink it to this day)... As the day went on, my sister and I would occupy ourselves... We'd go down the road through the woods, catching frogs, picking berries, eating lichens off the trees (but not the poison ones that Dad told us to look out for...) PB&Js, washed down with Faygo Rock and Rye, or Redpop, then we'd digest and shoot cans off the fallen tree with the pellet rifle. Hotdogs over the fire for dinner, and then we sat in a circle as a family, roasting marshmallows, and making s'mores as it got darker and darker, till the only things you could see were the trees immediately around the camping area lit up by the lanterns, and a perfect blackness behind them... And we could go fishing, we'd go to Mackinac, Tahquamenon, all of Northern Michigan was at our disposal, even if it was merely sitting in the dirt and playing with my toy cars...

In 1994, we went up there for the last time. My dad got a new job that year, and it was one of those deals where he didn't have the vacation time this year, but we'd go next year... Next year never came... The years went by, and I grew up, of course, progressing through school, graduating, but forever in my mind was my property, a place where only perfect happy memories have, and will ever exist in their purest state. I saw it in my dreams, I smelled it on the air, and anything that triggered a memory pulled it all back, like I was there again... And so, in early 2002, 8 years since I had last been up there, I finally decided to go...

The vehicle: 1984 Plymouth Reliant... It was the wet season, and the 2 track had been badly damaged by the logging that took place around my parcel shortly after the summer of 1994. Those cars were amazing, the capability to pull through mud, snow, dirt, whatever... But it just couldn't handle the road... I bottomed out, and was stuck. The tow-truck driver, upon pulling me out, rear-ended me and took off, effectively shattering the frame of the vehicle, to the point that the back seat was dragging on the road as I pulled it into the drive for the last time...

I NEEDED to get up to my property... All my happy memories were merely that, memories, and memories long past to boot. Sister and I catch frogs, fat chance, we haven't spoken in 3 years now. Family sit around and roast marshmallows, please, every one of us has jobs, and works mad crazy hours. Pick the burrs out of Mio when he finally wandered back to camp, hell, he's been dead for almost 4 years now. My criteria in a new vehicle were two things. Automatic. Can get me to my property...

Went up to Oakland Dodge. I was planning on a 4X4 Dakota. All my life, my grandma and grandpa have been preaching the evil of Jeep, how they roll over, how they're badly built, how they're a pain in the ass to work on, so on, and so forth... So, I'm looking around, and I say, hey, that's nice...

Grandma... A TRUCK?!? Rear wheel drive in Michigan?!? Oh no no no, honey... Umm... What about that Jeep over there? By this time, the used car salesman has emerged to feed on my blood. 1997 XJ, 89,000 miles, black, 4 door, great shape... I am interested and pleased indeed... 13 grand...

Hey, let me show you this little number...

Suddenly, around the building pulls this sparkly blue XJ, in flawless condition. 2000 XJ, 24,000 miles, power everything, excellent shape, CD changer, sunroof... Grandpa looks in, out, and under... Being that he was not only a master mechanic of the highest degree, he had some mad skills, he also worked for Chrysler for 46 1/2 years, until he no longer was mentally able to do so... And he declared it to be good... That was all I needed. 15 grand, monthly payments of 275... I can do that!!! Of course, 275 became 316, but hey, what're you gonna do...

That was May of 2002. All that year, I couldn't get up there, recouping the costs of the purchase and all that... But finally, in the summer of 2003, I was able to take it up there... Skeptical, hell yeah, I was. Put it in 4 hi, and eased into the mud... It skipped and splashed around like a happy puppy, and glided through the destroyed road to my property. For the first time in 9 years, a tent was set up on the property. A fire built in the firepit. And I sat for nearly 14 hours straight, once camp was set up, and wrote... Everything I had on my mind, every thought, despair, worry, triumph, poem, song, anything that I thought, I wrote until finally, as the sun had came back up, and the lantern ran out of fuel, I ran out of anything to write. All the hate and rage of the last 9 years of my life was gone, poured into 5 legal pads, and 3 sticky notebook pads...

I started wheeling to bring me back to my happy place. The one and only place that I will always care about, and always fight for, even in the deepest and darkest apathy I may fall into. As time went on, I more than found the joy of off-roading, and love it like crazy, but I know that as long as Jeepy sits out there in the driveway, I can get back to my property... This is also why I have such a strong bond with my Jeep, it did what 9 years of my life could not manage to accomplish in a mere 5 hour drive.

So what about you all? What's your story?

So what about you all? What's your story?

I started wheeling as part of my therapy from when I was abused with power tools as a child. :lol: :lol:

Bought a Toyota 4x4 in 1990. The next day I took it up to my friend's property in Bel Air and covered it with mud, jumped it, drove through a creek... I was hooked.

RE: rear end

Well I started with a Pink(Rasberry, hey I can't complain it was my first car from my parents) 1994 Chevy S-10 2wd. I was going through water holes as deep as the windows that these pansy ford guys with 4wd wouldn't try. After high centering the truck a few times and getting stuck in the mud I decided I wanted a 4wd. So i got a 1988 Jeep YJ, then a 87 XJ, 95 Xj, and now a 01 XJ. I love wheeling, but I decided I'm not going to lift my 01 since it has the gay antilock brakes(they don't stop for anything most of the time). Can't beat a Jeep.

well it definantly wouldnt compare to yours buddie.
but lets see.. theres a few thinks i REALLY love doing in life
1. camping
2. hiking
3. it doesnt matter
i hate camping at provincial camp grounds. i'm a cheapo. i HATE spending my money, expecially on somthing i can do for free. i like finding remote spots where i'm not going to be bothered by children playing at 6 or 7 am in the morning. and where i can stay up all night pounding back the beer being as loud as i want.
the roads out here for the GOOD hikes (meaning somthing that doesnt take just an hour or 2) all require somthing with ground clearance, and more recently somthing with 4 wheel drive. they havnt been maintaining the forestry roads to the best hikes around.. i would say it sucks, but you dont have to worry about so much traffic, i love it :D
oh and lets not forget that guys dig it and i like to get dirty

now the reason i wanted a jeep. we had this really really stupid game called "preference" where you get choices of 4 things and you have to guess in which order would the other player in the game like that object. on one there were 4 different vehicals.. i fell in love with the red jeep on that card... and from that card i started HATING the game cause everyone guessd me... damn i was a poor sport

That was where all the good keg parties were with the hippest folks and prettiest girls! But hey that was some 30 years ago... Now days I do for the relaxing qualities! tug

Friend took me out in his old CJ on a trail in Long Island. I had a blast but owned an MG and wasn't getting rid of it just yet.

Joined the service, married, transfered here and there. Next thing you know, I own a 79 Bronco and sold the MG (sniffle). Of course, you need big tires, reworked engine, T19 mods, axle mods, etc.

Couple years pass by and another friend does circles around my Bronco in his CJ. Hmm. That little Jeep sure is nimble. 98 Sport comes in the picture. Good bye Bronco, hello Jeep. Add tires, lift, lockers, winch, skids, etc, etc and it is 2005.

As a family we always went camping, canoing, hiking, etc. Somehow always had a four wheel drive in the garage. I have my 98, son has an 01 TJ, daughter (damn yuppy) has a big SUV with funny buttons all over, wife has a Rodeo Sport (ahh.. D44 rear axles).

Well, I could say it started with the old family wagon when I was a kid. It was a 79 Cherokee Chief. But even though I loved that thing, it was the 360 under the hood that interested me more at that point than the four wheel drive abilities. Later on in highschool, 11th grade, I got alot of seat time in my buddies 85 Scrambler and that hooked me. I had finally found something as fun as street racing, but without all of the problems associated with it. I've bounced back and forth between hotrods and Jeeps pretty much since I could drive. I'm not really as big of a "wheeler" as some on this board. I love trail riding, but I love going fast more. When you can combine the two.....even better.

Motercraft 2100 puff black smoke when hit the gas hard

My home town was lacking for entertainment during our teen years. There were only three things to do drink, fight and f.......

four wheel drive. (bet you thought something else). Anyway, I was also into fast cars and consequently had to hitch a ride whenever the law chased us from the city out into the national forests. Our area had one of the largest national forests in the Southeast. It was actually legal to ride back then. We would always load up on a friday or saturday night and head to the woods with a truck load of beer and some ladies and go build a raging fire somewhere. It wasn't too long before I got tired of riding shotgun and bought my first Jeep. It was an 85 XJ four banger 4 speed, two door. That thing was great. I kept it for years and years and at one point had the XJ, a 93 Grand and my current CJ all at the same time. I ended up selling the XJ and building the CJ. The Grand got sold later in when I got a company car.
I wish I could have kept every one of those Jeeps. Each were great in a different way. Now it's just me and the CJ (and my badass new 05 Superduty..ha,ha!). I still enjoy four wheeling and the amazement of where you can take a vehicle with a few modifications and some liquid courage. The greatest part of it to me was just being outdoors. I will soon evolve from the drinking and camping part that I love so much into the fatherhood stage where I get to share new adventures with a youngster riding shotgun. The baby isn't even due until late March and I'm already trying to figure out how to fit a backseat or build a 4 seater buggy. I guess I've got a few years to get it nailed down.

"The Itch" first started when I was five years old..... [cool wavey flash back thingies] It was the summer of sleep 1989 and I had a small hard rubber tire RADIO FLYER wagon.... and a steep bumpy hill (cliff) (hmm, can you see the Jeep mentality?) well after falling out and getting scuffed up..... a number of times, I got back in and made it down in one piece. My grand father (Mike), was a WWII enthusiast (the home grown kind) and I saw my first jeep in a big book with a lot of words and little (I was only five, come on), well I was hooked from then on........I'm sick. I need help. But I don't want to be helped. and now i have the shakes so bad from withdrawl.... ugh, it's not even funny..... OH, YEAH My daughters first off road expiriance was getting shooken up while in the womb, trying to get her to come out..... the Mrs and I had fun (On the trails, get your mind outta the gutter :twisted: )

To get to the rocks. It started mainly by taking rental cars to ungodly locations in Canada to do geology (its a really good thing they don't check the underside of rental cars when you return them!!), then suburbans and finally I bought my jeep to get to the places I want/need to go. I rarely get out wheeling just for fun, but hey wheelin' is wheelin' even when its "work".

Re: RE: mandatory reading

i started wheeling because a guy on ebay answered a question about wehre a picture was taken. i was browsing looking for lifts and i came across one that was for a tj and just looked in (i have a yj) and saw a pic of him flexing. i thought it was the coolest thing and it turns out his location was in the same city as me. so i emailed him and asked him where that was and he said "oh thats shoe creek, our club is actually going there next week, you wanna go?" and they took me, showed me the ropes, and even invited me to camp and gave me stuff to sleep with and took me into one of their tents when i had nothing. a great group of guys and im still with them from this day.

RE: Re: RE: Ideas for a new poll?

I started wheeling back in highschool in my 81' Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme. Totaled that car when I hit a mountain a little too hard so I moved up to a 1980 Toyota Corolla. That car was great off road. Took it off a 4 foot jump and hit the mud holes so fast it blew the rusted floor right out from under my feet. Got it stuck out in the mountains and had to get towed out by a "real" 4x4 (you should've seen the look on this guys face). Sold that car when I finally had enough money to buy a real 4x4 which was a 96' F-150, lifted and on 33" Thornbirds. Loved that truck but had to sell it since I was so hard on it and didn't want to pay the repairs for the transmission, transfercase and axles which I knew would be coming soon. I now have the jeep which I like but one day want as a secondary "off road only" vehicle. When I can afford to do that, my next vehicle is either gonna be a new F-350 crewcab diesel or I really like the new Chrystler 300's.

Honestly, started back when I was about 12, nothing better to do up at the family summer home in the boonies of NH, se we resurected a 81 chevy luv truck that was left for dead on the neighbors property, and wheeled it. 2wd and all, since then, I was hooked.

One of my best friends in high school got a brand new VW bug a year early for graduation. That little car could go anywhere...

Then I graduated, joined the Army, moved around the world.

I got a mountain bike when I was older. I saw some pretty amazing vistas on that first bike and the one after. A friend was selling his old, used, abused 94 Ford Ranger 4x4. I bought it as the price was right, but was resigned to driving it on the street. Then, a friend asked me to take him back country. I told him no. And I told him no. And I told him no. Then we went.

For two years we took that truck away from the city whenever possible. It was a lot of fun and I really enjoyed it. It just didn't take me everywhere...

Now, the '93 Jeep does take me places I never thought I could go to.

Yep... Between gas prices and mods, it is the newest money pit...

RE: 249/242 swap

cewtwo said:
One of my best friends in high school got a brand new VW bug a year early for graduation. That little car could go anywhere...

One of my best friends in high school bought an old Bug and ripped off the fenders, chopped the rear and put one of those fiberglass "baja" kits on it. He ran that thing through all kinds of crap I never thought it would make it through. He blew the engine twice and we rebuilt it over a weekend both times, with nothing but the two of us picking it up by hand. Good times :D

1990 Toyota 4x4 pick up. I was a senior in High School and many of the parties were out in the desert with bon fires and lots of drinking. I had a friend who got stuck in a 2x4 Ford Courier PU and had to help him get out. That was the first time I'd ever even put a 4x4 into 4wheel drive. I pulled him out. Then, amazed with the performance, I proceeded to test out the capabilities of the little PU. What a blast!!! From that moment on, I'd been into them ever since. I've only owned 5 4x4's though. So the owning of cars stunted my wheeling growth.

Back