Dont buy Procomp tires!

dmille4.6

I have recently lifted my jeep and looking for some 33s to put on it so ive been asking around. I have some procomp xterrains on my f150 and have always noticed that they have a hop that comes and goes. I figured it was just a bushing wearing out and didnt pay much attention to it until i started asking around. I have since talked to two major four wheeling stores in my area and they say the procomps will go out of round after some driving. anything 33" and up. One guy even said he had over 20 tires in his store right now with defect tags on them! So if you do a lot of road driving i wouldnt recommend them.
P.S. i need some wheels/tires (as you can see) if your in the tennessee area.

Attachments

• lifted yellow.jpg
    lifted yellow.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 1,055

I remember when my Jeep used to look like this. I could do some major flexing...... haha

yea! i finally got some tires last night. just put them on as you can see by the jack in the picture. i cant wait to find some mud!!

Attachments

• yellow ss.jpg
    yellow ss.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 918

I have recently lifted my jeep and looking for some 33s to put on it so ive been asking around. I have some procomp xterrains on my f150 and have always noticed that they have a hop that comes and goes. I figured it was just a bushing wearing out and didnt pay much attention to it until i started asking around. I have since talked to two major four wheeling stores in my area and they say the procomps will go out of round after some driving. anything 33" and up. One guy even said he had over 20 tires in his store right now with defect tags on them! So if you do a lot of road driving i wouldnt recommend them.
P.S. i need some wheels/tires (as you can see) if your in the tennessee area.

I've had Procomps on my Dad's Jeep and his 2500 Duramax for the past 7 years without a problem. I'll stick to my own track record.

I ended up getting 33x14.50 Super Swamper radials on Mickey T classic lock IIs. I didnt really want to go that aggressive or wide but found a deal i couldnt pass up! $350 for everything! (tires prob 60-70%) It doesnt rub anywhere with swaybars connected, i havnt tried them off yet. Im sure it will hit the fronts in full comp.
no offense corrupt. you say tomatoe i say tomatto. lol just though i would pass on some info.

Serious...

There has been like 3 different recalls regarding pro comp tires

Here's one for an example.
NHTSA ODI - Recalls

You could have had new tires for free :rolleyes:

I run procomp extreme at on my tow rig, I had one that buldged bad, returned two ofmy tires, got two new ones for free, 40K miles later, still no issues.

didnt have them on my jeep. there on my f150. it shakes like a crack addict at an AA meeting at about 70! lol i need to check into that. free tires would be awesome!

To each their own, but Interco is known for having some of the most out-of-round tires on the market. It's funny to see them chosen over another brand in hopes of being more round, especially something as aggressive as a TSL radial.

Not knocking Interco, I run bias TSL's and always will as long as they're available.

Like Bounty said TSLs ain't round. My 38s aren't even close. That being said I ran 33 XTerrains on my XJ for almost 5 years and they wore even and they were balanced when new and never again. Can't say the same for my BFGs or M. Thompsons. Didn't bother balancing the TSLs, what's the point. Also if you run the XTerrains backwards they will develope a chunking problem that would cause a hop.

A collection of interesting reports to be considered. My ProComps on VEX, 9.50x33" have a little lover a 100k on them , and seem to be wearing pretty well. VEX, my Jeep, is heavy, and that does not seem to have much effect on tire wear either.

Odd, this difference in reports. Fun read though.

Robert

I buy nothing but TOYO now.. better traction in the ice and snow than my studded tires, better wear.. better ride.. nice tire..

Tires and jeeps are not a good subject around here lol. If you have one problem with a certain manufacturer, it soils your perception of them for life.
SWB jeeps and off-road tire manufactures are at odds. We tend to scrub the back tires turning around and we are not quite heavier enough for the harder compounds and we end up with a stiff ride. Softer compounds, well we eat them driving to our favorite off-roading spot. Then chunk them with aggressive off-roading, then complain about how long they didn't last. Add in a traction adding differential and a whole new set of quirky driving problems come into play.

Everyone here has their favorite MFG of tires and mostly it was through trial and error to find them.
The best we can do is to chalk our new tires and set the air pressure off of that and pray for some life.

You need the right tire for what you're doing too. From what I've read on the boards and in magazines over the years, X-Terrains are good in rocks and that's about it. One of the 4wd magazines did a mud tire test a couple years ago and X-Terrains came in dead last by a long shot.
Most of the mags are written and published in SoCal so they pimp a lot of stuff that works on sand and rocks, which is meaningless to someone like me who lives in the northeast.

The only tires from Interco that I would ever consider putting on a street-driven vehicle are the SSR or TRXUS/MT.

I was having a hard time balancing my 35 12.50 15 swampers and a buddy told me about a trick.....put 10oz of air soft beebees in each tire and it balances itself. It works great!! Havent had any more hoppin.g or wearing my tires unevenly

Still have the Pro-comp xtreme AT's on my tow pig, other than one issue couple years ago (posted above), have not had an issue. they are worn to crap though, and I will replace with the same tire.

as for trail rig, TSL's all the way unless your looking for a sticky compound, then red label or Maxxis Trep's,

Back