Driveshaft Rub

Red Neckerson

While out "creek crawling" over Labor Day Weekend, I noticed a "rubbing" sound. I found out it was my front driveshaft (front u-joint) hitting my new Borla Header and the driveshaft was also kissing the side of the transmission when the left front suspension is flexed.
I have a 3" suspension lift with a 1" bodylift on a 98 TJ. When I put the suspension lift on (Black Diamond) I relocated the front track bar over a 1/2" as per the directions. I measured to see if the front axle was centered and it did seem to measure evenly. Also got an auto transmission. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks!!

Last edited:

Sounds like you may need to extend your bumpstops. Not only will it keep those parts from rubbing, but properly adjusted bumpstops will allow the springs to last longer by preventing repeated over-compression.

Sounds like you may need to extend your bumpstops. Not only will it keep those parts from rubbing, but properly adjusted bumpstops will allow the springs to last longer by preventing repeated over-compression.

The Black Diamond lift did come with longer bumpstops. I run 33x12.5's without any fender rub at all. But if you think I need longer bumpstops I will get them. Will I need to do both the front and rear?

I had the same problem with an XJ, which has a nearly identical front end. I adjusted the trackbar and the problem was one.

I really wish I had measured the axle before lifting it to see if it is truly centered from the factory.

I had the same problem with an XJ, which has a nearly identical front end. I adjusted the trackbar and the problem was one.

I really wish I had measured the axle before lifting it to see if it is truly centered from the factory.

Yes, I wish I had done the same. I Thought of getting an aftermarket adjustable trackbar and maybe trying to adjust it a bit to experiment. I dunno,
Bounty made a good point with the bumpstops, but I hate to give up wheel travel. The TJ works really well for me off road, but if it comes to that, so be it.

How long did you already extend the front bumpstops by?

When you relocated the front trackbar during the lift, did you merely redrill the lower hole 1/2" to the drivers side? Or did you relocate the bottom mount with a supplied bracket?

How long did you already extend the front bumpstops by?

When you relocated the front trackbar during the lift, did you merely redrill the lower hole 1/2" to the drivers side? Or did you relocate the bottom mount with a supplied bracket?

I'm guessing probably around 2" on the bump stops. Not for sure.

Yes, all I did was drill a new hole for the trackbar relocation in front. I did not get a bracket for the front, just the rear.

Back