Engine Swap: 2.5 CRD with 2.8 CRD

rnsakanya

After swapping my 2.5 manual with a 2.8 automatic, the engine is turning but cannot start. The Injectors are not opening to release fuel. I used the 2.5 harness, control box and injector pump and also maintained the manual gear box.
I feel if the Injectors could open, it should be able to run. What could be the reasons for this failure.

Thanks,
Richard

My guess would be either the 2.5 pump isn't operating at the same pressure as the 2.8 or the injectors use a different voltage. The injectors use voltage to close and fuel pressure to open the injector so these values are extremely important. I know a lot of the newer injectors use a 90 volt driver in the ECM. And the older ones are around 30. As well as the fuel pressures are nearing 30,000 psi in the newer common rails as opposed to about 10 ,000 in previous generations. That said it takes only about 3500 psi to open most injectors. You will have to use the cam and crank signal from the original motor as well. As they will most certainly be different. Who knows the tone wheels might be different as well. Lots of variables to play with.

My guess would be either the 2.5 pump isn't operating at the same pressure as the 2.8 or the injectors use a different voltage. The injectors use voltage to close and fuel pressure to open the injector so these values are extremely important. I know a lot of the newer injectors use a 90 volt driver in the ECM. And the older ones are around 30. As well as the fuel pressures are nearing 30,000 psi in the newer common rails as opposed to about 10 ,000 in previous generations. That said it takes only about 3500 psi to open most injectors. You will have to use the cam and crank signal from the original motor as well. As they will most certainly be different. Who knows the tone wheels might be different as well. Lots of variables to play with.

Thanks Jester. You saved the day. We were able to start the engine just by swapping the pressure sensor.
Best regards

Back