Engine swap question

Gitz

I am having difficulty finding a 360 AMC for my 82 CJ 5. How complicated is it to drop in a small block chevy?

It depends on if you are using the transmission and the transfercase fom a chevy. If not you will need an adapter for your transmission. But sbc are the easiest engine to get running. All it needs is a 12 volt source to the HEI to run. You can eliminate most of the wiring from the stock ignition on the cj. This swap is very common so there are alot of companys out there offering the motor mounts, headers, and adapters. You will get more power out of a sbc for less money than the 360.

I would consider looking for an engine/transmission/transfer case as a combo, this will save huge costs on adapters. Length of drivetrain will be a major concern in a 5 so your rear driveshaft will have sufficient length.

Drivetrain length IS the big issue with 5's.

Novak has a pretty good database with dimensions and ratios of various drivetrain components - Novak Jeep Conversions - Home . Measure up what you have and do some figurin' as to what will fit best in your rig and your budget.

I dropped a 350 with a SM465, adapted it to my 300 transfer case and ended up being a little shorter than factory.

Spend some time on research up front and you'll save yourself A LOT of headaches.

I'm doing a 350/350 turbo to a T-18 T-case. Finding the Turbo is 10 inchs longer than the T-150 transmittion has become some concern. I'll be able to move the new engine mounts forward about 4 inches and I can get a Lokar shifter to put the transmission shifter back in the correct place, but the biggest concern is getting the T-case shifter in the right spot. Does any one build a adapter for this.

Last edited:
Does it have to be an AMC 360? I have a 304 in my 5, and it's more than enough power. And, depending on where you are located, I have another 304 I don't need. Are you anywhere near Chicago?

Does it have to be an AMC 360? I have a 304 in my 5, and it's more than enough power. And, depending on where you are located, I have another 304 I don't need. Are you anywhere near Chicago?

A 304 would do just fine. However I live in Alberta, Canada. Thanks for the offer.

Just got the frame back from the powder coater, It looks good. The frame is on jack stands with the engine setting in the frame. Had to move the engine mounts fwd 8 inches for clearnce of the SBC dis. The problem now is mod/ building a new skid plate for the transmission. Any help out there for this.

In Seattle I have a 360/T18A/NP208 (from my '82 Honcho) along with a shortbox '76 J10 that has J20 axles (motor trans are not installed) for $1,000

Hi Guys new to the forum. I own a 76 CJ5 which I am planning to put a 283 in but my buddy has a 82 CJ5 in which he is going to swap out the 4.2Litre for an AMC 401. Does anyone know the specs on the bolts (size and grade) for the bolts on the flywheel and clutch assembly?
screech.owl

Hi Guys new to the forum. I own a 76 CJ5 which I am planning to put a 283 in but my buddy has a 82 CJ5 in which he is going to swap out the 4.2Litre for an AMC 401. Does anyone know the specs on the bolts (size and grade) for the bolts on the flywheel and clutch assembly?
screech.owl

The 401 is externally balanced. A 6 cyl flywheel will bolt on but the motor will vibrate it's rods off unless you get the flywheel matched.

The 401 is externally balanced. A 6 cyl flywheel will bolt on but the motor will vibrate it's rods off unless you get the flywheel matched.

As Carnuck said... All of the AMC I6 and the AMC 304, 360, 390, & 401 are externally balanced and none of the flywheels are interchangeable as all of the flywheels are balanced engine specific. A machine shop may be able to rebalance some of the flywheels depending upon application.

I recently completed a sbc 350/ turbo 350 swap in my 95 YJ. It's really not that hard to complete if you're willing to imput some time. I used Novak to adapt it to my stock NP231. I don't know much about CJ5 dimentions but driveshaft length wasn't mush of an issue with me with 4in. lift. Some custom mounts and a crossmember, and you should be pretty good to go. I had some trouble with my gauges and a radiator. But look on ebay for SuperiorRadiators. I picked up an alluminum twin tube for $300. (compaired to 500 everywhere else) My headers are Heddman shorties for $153 through Summit. Have you gotten anywhere with a 360 since your origional post?

Back