Experience with Rough Country?

redwrangler02

Ok, so I've decided after much consideration that I think I'm going to purchase a 6" long arm suspension kit for my 02' TJ Sport. I've been doing some searching on the internet for pricing and all that, and came across Rough Country's new line of suspension lift kits, which are apparently some of the cheapest in the market. I like cheap, but at what cost? I'd rather not spend an arm and a leg on a Skyjacker kit, although I would in a heartbeat if I had the funds. Please give me feedback on your or friends experience with Rough Country products, or if you have another brand to recommend, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Here is what I'm looking at
Jeep TJ Suspension Lift

Rough Country is a decent kit at an entry level price, they perform very well offroad. I think you'll be satisfied.

not that it really effects performance, but the coating on their compnents is not the best.. but who cares about that, performance is pretty good.

I wouldn't do it if i were you!! originally started out with the 4" rough country kit. parts were missing, wrong size, or the powder coating on brackets were so thick that we had the grind off the coating to make them fit... Worst customer service i have ever encountered.. what should of takin a weekend to do, was a 2 week project..and that was just waiting for the company to send the right or missing parts to us.

Once the lift was finally on, it was ok at best.. certainly get what you pay for. In the end, we finally swapped it out for a Skyjacker lift, little more money... but so worth it.

If you still decide to put the RC lift on... do not, let me repeat... DO NOT pay for their shocks.. they are crap.. better off getting a better quality shock.. you'll thank me down the road.

I know a few people with them that have had no problems.Only thing I was told to stay away from is the progressive springs.

If you plan on ever taking it offroad stay away from Skyjacker or BDS. Those kits are not made for wheel travel just mall crawling. Rough Country is good for the money but save up and get a Rubicon kit. Best bang for the buck in my book and customer service is almost as good as Rusty's.

As you can tell everyone has a different opinion of what's the best product out there.. all i can do is tell you what i went thru with my RC kit.. and contrary to xjmarc, Skyjacker's are bad ass off road.. but again.. its up to you.. just be ready for any problems that might arise

FWIW, while I was out running errands with the wife today I ran into (not literally) a guy with a 4" RC lift on an LJ. He was standing by his Jeep and I talked to him for a couple minutes. Asked if it was a 4 or 6 inch kit. He said it was 4". It looked good, and he seemed to be very pleased with it. I'm currently debating between the 4" RC kit and the Skyjacker 4" "sport" lift myself. The price is very similar if you catch the Skyjacker kit on sale (which happens fairly often from 4 wheel drive hardware). Otherwise the Skyjacker kit is about $80 or so more.

Just my opinion on the Skyjacker stuff, mine road like a hay wagon and didn't flex even with swaybars disconnected.

Back