Fender Dis-coloration

TJ_Jeep

Have you ever seen anything like this, and it will change if water hits it.

Attachments

• 0216091429.jpg
    0216091429.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 63
  • 0216091429a.jpg
    0216091429a.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 64

They look like most faded flares, don't know why water affects it.

A heat gun works very well to bring back the black. Start far away and slowly get closer, moving back and forth like a spray can. The black will come back to the surface.

They look like most faded flares, don't know why water affects it.

A heat gun works very well to bring back the black. Start far away and slowly get closer, moving back and forth like a spray can. The black will come back to the surface.
Ok i'll try the heat gun, but whatever is on there it can be scrubbed off but it takes some elbow grease.

If you want a different look you could also scuff them and apply some herculiner are comparable coating.

Hit them with a pressure washer before you do anything permanent.

My flares seem to build up a white skin or film of some sort that looks like what you have. I hit them with the pressure washer and it comes off, then I use "back to black" to shine them back up.

Hit them with a pressure washer before you do anything permanent.

My flares seem to build up a white skin or film of some sort that looks like what you have. I hit them with the pressure washer and it comes off, then I use "back to black" to shine them back up.
I tried the pressure washer it didn't help, it looks like someone tried to wax it and it dried on there and caked up. Its been on there ever since i got it. If water runs down it, it will hold the shape of the water

Try cleaning with simple green or a solvent of some sort, sounds like a previous owner used something on it to try to get them black again.

Paint them when you get it fixed. I herculined my rear view mirrors, license plate bracket, and fuel filler surround. I really dont like it.

I got some used TJ flares for my 93 that are all faded out like yours. I was thinking of just scuffing them up with some 80 grit and then spraying them with some of that Wal-Mart brand Rhino liner knock off that comes in a spray can. My friend's hit his bumpers with the stuff and it seems to hold up against thick brush pretty well.

Mine turned out great, but I like the black or color matched much better. I had to try it myself, as I had not seen a Jeep with it done. Thats just my opinion, though. To each his own.

I thought about taking them off and painting them the same color as my jeep. The Sahara edition jeep is like that with the fenders painted the same color. (i can do it, i even painted my rims haha)

Back