Flat towing a CJ

toyman

I am wanting to tow bar my CJs to some of the events coming up this summer. A freind told me I'd have to pull the rear driveshafts or I'd burn up the output bearing on the transfercase as it won't get lubed. This looks like it maybe true on my 76 with the Model 20, but I don't think so on the 77 with quadra-trac. Another person suggested installing some locking hubs on the rear.

I flat tow my CJ7 (82) all the time. I have never been told to pull the rear driveshaft or any of that vodoo for flat towing.

I've had two different people tell me the model 20 output bearing does not get lubed when it's in neutral & flat towed. Maybe your model 300 does. I'm somewhat surprised this did not get more response from this board.

91 yj clutch problem - updated question on torque arm

A jeep with a manual transmission can be towed with all 4 wheels on the ground with both the transmission and tcase in neutral. Qtrack the driveshafts have to come out UNLESS you have the low range in which case put the transmission lever in park, the low range in neutral, and the emergency drive in normal (make sure the emergency drive was not engaged last time the truck was running). That's straight from the chiltons manual......

If I am not mistaken and please tell me if I am because I bought a tow bar last week. You are supposed to put the transmission in 1st and t-case in neutral.

Alright, this is out of my jeep owner's manual that came in the glove box.

1. turn ignition switch to off position to unlock steering wheel
2. shift transmission and transfer case into neutral
3. turn selective drive hubs into 4x4 postion for axle lubrication

when towing vehicle over 200 miles, stop. With the tcase in Neutral and the transmission in gear start and rev the engine for about one minute to circulate oil in the trasfer case.

Thats straight out of the owners manual......

avyoung said:
If I am not mistaken and please tell me if I am because I bought a tow bar last week. You are supposed to put the transmission in 1st and t-case in neutral.

I read that somewhere too. But I still just do neutral and neutral.

i dont think it is nessecary to engage the hubs for flat towing...kinda defeats their purpose dont ya think :lol: there wouldnt be any moving parts in the front diff if the hubs were unlocked and the t-case in neutral...so what part needs to be lubricated??

My 77 with the Quadra-trac does have the low range & it has been converted to partime. Also the output shaft bearing on it is low enough to be constantly lubed. This is not the case with the model 20 transfercase. It would not recieve lube unless the gear train was slinging it up on it. With the transfercase in neutral I'm not sure it would get lubed.

OK Y'all,

I have a '77 CJ7 with Qaudratrac. I converted the QT to parttime some years ago.

I put my automatic tranz in PARK & the QT in NUETRAL.
Release the parking brake & turn the ignition key to ON, then,
turn it back 1 notch so as to leave the steering wheel unlocked.
Unloack the front hubs.

I then remove the top & fold down the windshied & fold back the mirrors for aerodynamics (read mpg)

Then I haul. I have been dragging this lead sled up & down the west coast for 13 yrs with no problems.

Been to Oregon twice, 400+ miles each towing day.

It has been to the southern California desert 6 times, again 400+mi each day of towing.

I have never stopped at 200mi and run the engine to splatter lube up into the QT.

The QT likes to be towed.

It'll cost you about 2mpg to drag this pig along behind you.

The CJ7 weighs on or about 3,800lbs unloaded. After I load it up with firewood, my portable generator, tools, trail gear, and such it tips the scales at about 4,500lbs.

see you on the trails !

Back