Flex Plate or Piston Slap?

CloudmanXJ99

Hope someone here can help by giving me some direction.

'99 XJ, 164K miles. Over the last 15K miles it's developed a 'clacking' noise. At first it only did it when cold then once it warmed up it would almost go away.

Currently, when it's cold it's really noisy but diminishes - but doesn't go away - once it warms up. It's not very noticeable on deceleration or at idle once warmed up but upon acceleration, warm or cold, it's loud...espcecially on hard acceleration.

Performance wise, it's just as good as it always has been. Uses maybe 5 drops of oil between oil changes because of a rear seal leak.

Recent tech says it's piston slap. (BTW, adding Sea Foam has made no change). Says it can't be the flex plate as there is no issue with the starter when starting up the Jeep. HOWEVER, after looking at some posts in this forum and listening to some of the video's it sure sounds like it's the flex plate.

One last thing. The noise is from the bottom and way more loud on the drivers side.

So, given the description, what percent are the odds would you say it's piston slap or flex plate? Not sure I believe the tech. (He's good but Jeeps are not his specialty).

Thinking of getting a second diagnostic based on what any of you may be able to tell me.

TIA so very much!

Have you checked the flex-plate bolts?

On a cold-start, use a long pry-bar as a stethoscope and listen to the engine block from underneath. Put the prybar on different spots on the engine and listen how the noise changes.

Having not heard the sound you describe be sure not to rule out exhaust leak. A loose bolt or damaged gasket will allow for some leaking prior to heating up and sealing.

be sure not to rule out exhaust leak

JPNinPA...just had the exhaust manifold replaced as it was cracked. Didn't take care of it. :-(

Back