FNG : 1991 Jeep XJ 5 speed

justd

Well, I just saved a 91 xj from the junk yard. My mother , was getting ready to sell it to the Junk yard for (VERY CHEAP). Anyways its been sitting for over 6 years with the exception of Driven to her apartment about 2 years ago ( Divorce) .

There are not any major issues with it but, it has some rust, but its only on the passenger side front door, and fuel cap. 87,ishh miles 5 speed manual transmission.

It runs fine, just needs a little love. Short term plans are to drain the 6 year old fuel (almost full) , replace the fuel filter , trans fluid , oil , Fix a slow leak in one of the tires. and replace the spark plugs. and maybe replace the door. Then save it for the winters, or when the WRX is being worked on ( see below)

At some point , I wouldn't mind getting a little bit beefer tire and maybe a 2 inch lift. but thats at least a year away . I dont want to go crazy , I dont really plan on doing any rock crawling , but it would be nice to not ever worry about snow drifts again.

i am new to Jeeps but have always respected the brand and engineering involved with them. I have just started doing some research , is there any must do maintenance Item I should do on the xj to make sure it runs for a long time ? from what I have read the 4.0 engine seems to be pretty strong.

For anyone that cares I also have a 2006 Subaru WRX , that is Mildly modded ( awaiting for me to stop being lazy and send out the transmission to get the straight cut gears installed. )

Ill post up some pics of the jeep this weekend.

Great to hear you saved it from the boneyard!!!!!! Welcome to Jeepz. Basic mtce to a 4.0L & it should last forever...

Thanks all for the Welcome, I am sure I will be leaning on some of you for tips and tricks shortly ...

Back