Fog Lights With No Switch????

edeboode

When i bought my jeep i realized it didn't have a fog light switch with the defrost and rear wiper switch, however, i have fog lights. They never worked, but I assumed it was because one was broken out from a rock. Either way, I am looking to replace them, but how do they work without the switch? Also, i was wondering what might of made them not work. I figured the one that wasn't broken would work because only one was broken, is it a fuse? I looked at the fuse box and all fuses are good and im only missing two (subwoofer system, and the door light over ride).

I also noticed that they are wired into the same harness as the parking lamps.

Are they stock fog lights? the switch is the same switch as the headlights if it's the same as my TJ. just click it up to turn on the headlights at pull it out to the left to turn on the fogs.

The factory fog switch on mine is beside the cig lighter where the Dif locks are on a Rubicon. I would think the factory switch is missing on your's which in turn won't let them work. I would check for loose wiring behind the dash where the switch should be.

I would yank them puppies and give them a hardy toss and get some good lights (100watt plus) with a switch and independant hot lead. :twisted:

X2 HiHood. I had a blank beside the defrost, popped it out, drilled it and threw in a toggle switch. Hella FFs way outshine factory junk as do KCs.

I would yank them puppies and give them a hardy toss and get some good lights (100watt plus) with a switch and independant hot lead. :twisted:

Done cost about $20 from harbor freight.

Attachments

• Front Lights 4.jpg
    Front Lights 4.jpg
    688.7 KB · Views: 1,008

There are 2 configurations on which the FACTORY fog lamps are switched. One is on the multifunction switch stalk. It can only be turned on with the marker lamps on and by pulling the end of the stalk out. However, if the high beams are switched on, the fog lamps will turn off until the low beam has been chosen to be swithched back on. The other configuration is a rocker switch on the center radio bezel below the HVAC controls.

There are 2 configurations on which the FACTORY fog lamps are switched. One is on the multifunction switch stalk. It can only be turned on with the marker lamps on and by pulling the end of the stalk out. However, if the high beams are switched on, the fog lamps will turn off until the low beam has been chosen to be swithched back on. The other configuration is a rocker switch on the center radio bezel below the HVAC controls.

Mikey, is there a way to set up the factory fogs so they stay on with high beams on? Mine has the switch below the HVAC controls. When I pull the stalk out to my parking lights, it gives power to the rocker switch so then I can turn the fogs off and on at the rocker.

Mikey, is there a way to set up the factory fogs so they stay on with high beams on? Mine has the switch below the HVAC controls. When I pull the stalk out to my parking lights, it gives power to the rocker switch so then I can turn the fogs off and on at the rocker.

That seems pretty simple to me -- just run a 12v lead from the Acc/Ign switch to the 'remote' pole on the rocker switch (that's the one that would have come from the stalk.)

That's what I was thinking, but I wasn't sure if overwriting the stock electrical set up would mess with any relays. Basically, I wasn't sure if it would burn anything up since the factory sets them to cut off on high beams. Wonder why they do that anyways?!?!

fog lights are only used on low beam (normally lower than bumper there is a legal max height). spot lights are only used on high beam.

fogs are normally wide beam and are designed to light the road with out blinding on-comming traffic and with out causing reflected light off the fog blinding yourself.
spots are focused beam and are designed to give on-comming traffic a third degree sun burn
redneck lights are one treeing and one tracking.

Yup, Jared is correct. You can disconnect the 12v supply coming from the multifunction switch and run a separate 12V ignition switched line to the rocker switch. Since these Jeeps are not Mux or a Lin Bus circuit, you would not have any issues by doing this.

Back