From 4 WH to 4 WL

LeakingJeep

I have a 2008 Unlimited Rubicon. I picked it up in January. It has 6500 miles on it. I have used 4 W High during the winter and some light 4W off road this summer. Yesterday I decided to try the lockers and see how they worked. It has a auto trans so I shifted it into Neutral and coasted at about 5 MPH. When I tried to shift from H to Low I heard some grinding so I backed off. I tried a few more times and finally got it in Low but I was hardly moving. The lockers worked also. Am I doing something wrong or do you guys think I should seek the dealers help? I did this on a dirt gravel road. Up to this point this vehicle has performed great. In a nut sheel is it me not knowing what I am doing or does the transfer case need adjusting?

From my past experience shifting to 4L should always be done at a dead stop or else you'll here some grinding like you said.

From my past experience shifting to 4L should always be done at a dead stop or else you'll here some grinding like you said.

x2! I always stop and put her in neutral before shifting into 4WDL. Just wish I had those lockers!!

I also stop and put it in neutral but I think the owners Manuel says you should be moving around 2 MPH.

Be at a stop or barely moving at all...like 1 or 2 mph

I have an 04 Rubicon. I shift to 4WH if I am going below 50 mph. When I need 4WL I stop the jeep to do that. Manual transmission shift to neutral; go to 4WL. If it seems a bit difficult I shift transmission into first and let the jeep roll just a tad and it goes right in place. I have never heard any "grinding" noises. Grinding noises have never meant anything good at least in my experiences. You might talk to an experienced techie person and they may be able to further help you. Mikey (Steelheadz) is a good one to ask.

good luck to ya:)

Thank you gentlemen. As you guys stated put it into Low from a stop. Today I tried to get in 4 W Low with the vehicle stoped and in neutral. It went right into gear and the lockers worked great. With the Rubicon in this configuration I think it could go just about anywhere. Again thanks for your help you all were right on the money. But the manual confused me because it says to shift into 4 W Low with the vehicle moving at about 3 MPH.

Attachments

• Visit to NC 7-02-09 to 7-07-09 At Matts 052.JPG
    Visit to NC 7-02-09 to 7-07-09 At Matts 052.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 69
I have an 09 sahara automatic and I have no problems shifting into 4WL as Im barely moving, like 2 miles an hour. I just pretty much jerk it into 4WL and there is no grinding.

The transfer case should, in theory, slide right in from 4H to 4L with the Jeep at a dead stop and your automatic trans in neutral. However, in reality the teeth on gears just don't always mesh exactly and either won't go or you'll hear a bit of grinding. If that's the case, put it in gear and roll forward a bit to get them to slip together. Conversely, if you try to shift while still moving around 1-3 mph and you hear grinding, stop, put it in neutral and see if it will slip in. Sometimes takes a bit of playing with. Other times, the transfer case seems to just slip right in.

Also, if you are coming out of 4L or 4H the axles and gears may be in a state called "torque wrap" and difficult to shift the transfer case. Sometimes just rolling a few feet in reverse will free everything up and make the shift easier.

4 hi shift on fly 4 lo shift at a stand still what I always do

Back