Front hitch

graewulf

RE: Re: RE: Re: Recovery strap recommendations

I don't care what anyone says.... they are a worthwhile investment. I just installed one on my ZJ yesterday and love it. It gives me front recovery points and somewhere to put the cooler when I go camping. Sure, I lose a hair on the approach angle & ground clearance but it is strong enough to withstand digging up some gravel.. and I now have a front jack point. If you have no front tow points, especially on an XJ/ZJ/WJ I hightly recommend this route.

RE: Re: RE: Re: Recovery strap recommendations

i'm all set with front hooks on my zj, but i'm curious, where did you get this front hitch?

gas prices

bchcky said:
i'm all set with front hooks on my zj, but i'm curious, where did you get this front hitch?

They're the same as the rear. Just have to come up with a way to mount it....or fab your own hitch-which is what I did :wink:

I loved the one I had on my xj. I am almost finished making one for zj. I post pics of all the mods That I have done with my zj's when I finish.

or at least I slow down :mrgreen:

88Wrangles said:
They're the same as the rear. Just have to come up with a way to mount it....or fab your own hitch-which is what I did :wink:
not necessarily, some bumpers fab it in as part of the bumper, thats why i asked, i was curious what route he took.

RE: Anyone an MMA fan?

Good call!

I put a front reciever hitch on my XJ a little over a month ago. Hands down the best way to put a recovery point on a unibody vehicle. It not only pulls from both frame rails but strengthens the unibody by tying the two sides together.

Word to the wise for XJ owners... Get the draw tite over the hidden hitch model. Both work, but the hidden hitch hangs much lower.

They are not the same as the rear hitches, speaking at least for the XJ's. There are different models specifically designed for the front. They are under $120.

I got the Warn Trans4mer Grille Guard, with the front reciever to go with it... Had it been installed, the guard would not have bent like it did last year. I cannot yet install it because the side plates are too bent inward... Not only will it make a good front tow point (cause the only thing better than 2 is 3, but it's a place to put the winch (once i get it), so that I can remove it if need be, and put it on the back... Because there are sometimes that getting pulled back is really the better option...

TwistedCopper said:
They are not the same as the rear hitches, speaking at least for the XJ's. There are different models specifically designed for the front. They are under $120.

My bad. I didn't know there was a difference (for XJ's at least). Well, I guess for a unibody vehicle they would have to be different :roll: :oops:

bchcky said:
not necessarily, some bumpers fab it in as part of the bumper, thats why i asked, i was curious what route he took.

That's true. He didn't say it was a bumper, so I just assumed it was a hitch like the title said. If it was in a bumper, it would be just a "reciever"....in a bumper, or just a "reciever".

I looked into the Warn trans4mer piece. I like it alot but the front hitch is more stout and alot cheaper. The trans4mer does have an option for a permanent winch mount and you lose no clearance which are both nice.

Another bonus to the front receiver hitch is that it also acts as a skid plate ;)

TwistedCopper said:
I looked into the Warn trans4mer piece. I like it alot but the front hitch is more stout and alot cheaper. The trans4mer does have an option for a permanent winch mount and you lose no clearance which are both nice.

Another bonus to the front receiver hitch is that it also acts as a skid plate ;)

I like it a bunch, got it as a Christmas present, my parents know me too well...

I got the draw tite hitch.. they are made to mount to the front of the vehicle.. in this case.. the skid plate and 2 bumper bolts... They are made for almost every 4x4 on the market. For unibody it is the only way to go.. less chance of ripping a weld nut out of the frame or twisting it.....

Back