Fuel Pressure Regulators

84_CJ7

I have learned quite a bit about in-line fuel pressure regulators in the last few days. Thought that I would pass on what I discovered in order to keep other Weber owners from going through the same mess.
I went through 2 in-line diaphram-type regulators (1-5 psi dial-in) in the last week. Both failed at highway speed - the diaphram collapsed and could hold up the the pressure of the stock fuel pump's monster 9 (or so) psi.;-)
After much digging I found someone who went through similar problems and found the cure. The diaphram-type regulators won't hold up - in fact there are/were recalls on several for this very reason. The solution is a Holley #12-804 regulator 1-4 psi. In addition to this you will need to replace the 3/8" inlets with 5/16" and get a "GOOD" pressure guage (that can mount on the top of the regulator). Normal fuel pressure guages that can be purchased at automotive parts stores are not accurate enough and can vary more that your target psi (3.5 on the Weber). Generic industrial pressure guages are the best and give the most accurate readings (and are generally built to last!). The gauge needs to be at least a Class B (3-2-3 meaning 3% low 2% mid 3% high variance in the pressure reading). I got one made by Wika that has a 1.5% variance throughout. Remember this is all about accurate LOW pressure.
My Weber runs without a regulator and has for about a year now. But I have developed seepage internally and externally on the carb which has given me problems in air/fuel mixture, dieseling and decreasing gas mileage. In fact, this is probably what ended up clogging up my converter.
Hope this helps. I had to order my parts and won't get them till after the weekend. I'll post with the completion of the project and add any opinions or problems encountered.

Scott
[addsig]

Back