full size axles

cody77

hey guys and gals, just a quick question....can anyone tell me how complicated it'd be to swap in full size axles in a 95 YJ? and also....what would be a good set of full-sizers to put in? thanks in advance[addsig]

For the rearend I'd say get yourself an 8.8 out of an explorer. You can get one with posi lock if you find a 95+ explorer. they'll hold up to a 37 inch tire. As for the front I really don't know. sorry.[addsig]

that would not be a full sized axle though, its actually more narrow than the stock jeep axles... a ford 9" from a pickup or such will do great... and the swap would not be too hard, and for the front, you will want to make sure you have the draglink from the donor vehicle[addsig]

aighty, thanx ya'll. i didnt really figure it'd be that complicated on the rear. just unbolting the old and slipping in the new right? i'm assuming the front would be a little more in-depth because of getting the steering and all set up, but hopefully it wont be too bad. just trying to get some ideas of what all i wanna do and what'll work.[addsig]

I don't think it's as easy as "removing the old, slipping in the new". The ford is probably a spring-over setup. Your 95 is probably not.

C[addsig]

it's really no big deal to weld on perches to set the axle up for spring under... and if you want to go spring over... this is the time[addsig]

Look for a full-size Cherokee, Wagoneer, or Grand Wagoneer (SJ) that has the driver's side diff in the front. Should be a D44 front and rear, that is the easiest swap. Careful that the rear is not the AMC20HD, which is not a bad axle but not as desirable as the D44. Good luck.

[addsig]

Back