Gauge Light Problem

FLYCASTER

I have a 1980 CJ5 and all of the gauges work correctly but the Speedometer, Voltmeter and Oil Pressure gauges will not illuminate when the light switch is turned on. The vertical gauges (fan, heat, etc) to the left of the speedometer do light up however. Could this just be burnt out bulbs or is there a separate fuse for lighting the three that aren't illuminating? Any help greatly appreciated!

You likely have a grounding problem since these three use the same/similar type of bulb and socket. I would remove my dash panel and clean out the sockets, check the bulbs and look for ground wire problems. If the sockets are in bad shape you can get placements at NAPA.

There should be two wires for the bulb, red and black. make sure black is grounded. I agree with policeMonkey, bad ground or corroded socket. could be the bulbs just blown, but bad ground more than likely.

One would have to be only a little creative, but when the incandescent meter lights went out on my venerable old Cobra 142GTL base radio, I got a bundle of dc LED's from EBay for cheap that already had the resistor built in and shines so much brighter in a much smaller space. I made a standoff with a piece of scrap plastic for my radio and since LED's give off no heat like incandescents I could glue 'em in place. What's more they come in many different colors. Might be a way to go.

Edit: just saw some on EBay for $2.99
http://www.ebay.com/itm/10X-T10-W5W...es&hash=item3a828f9bd3&vxp=mtr#ht_1141wt_1399

Back