Got Stuck-Then Lost Pressure...Help!

BTaylor34

Hi All,

Hope you guys can give me some help and insight. I have a 2000 2.5 Wrangler and on some trails today, got stuck in some water/soft mud. Jeep is stock height, but with 31.5 Buckshot Mudders. Anyway, no water came above the front bumper, but came level to it. After several attempts to dig my way out, I finally had to call in the cavalry and get another Jeep in the area to help get me out. Here is my kicker. After we got back on solid ground and was heading out, I noticed my oil pressure..which is normally 40 at idle, 60 under load, was down to 20. As pressure built, it would get to around 35, so I trudged on through. After a while, I started getting some white exhaust smoke, and what seemed like a lack of power as well. I added a little oil, just to be safe, and pressure still stayed around 20-30. On the way home, in fact right when I got to my uphill driveway, the pressure dropped under 10 (but not to zero) and the engine sounded like a diesel tractor. Barely made it up the hill but got it parked and turned off. Engine never ran hot, all other gauges normal, only the oil.

Any ideas??

Thanks in advance!
Brian

Well, not seeing what went on is tough. Like missing puzzle pieces. Were you over reving it while stuck. Does it have a lot miles on the engine? If so it might have let go, ie had enough. Well white smoke is Likely coolant/water in the cylinders. Head gasket, cracked head or block.Anyway, check radiator, low, does it have oil in it? Check oil, water in it? I'd do a compesson test. Guessing you'll see a bad reading (low to no Lbs) Tractor noise, dead cylinder, connecting rod bent clanking internally?

Only tried digging myself out in 4 LO a couple of times, but didn't overdo it. 150K miles on the motor. Went to change the oil this morning when it was cool, barely had any in it. Went ahead with the change, and pressure was up to normal for just a few minutes. Def clanking internally. I'm thinking she may just be gone.

Thanks for the help!

Yeah, broke her down and turns out it was a rod. I have been looking for an excuse for a new motor anyway....SOOOO while I'm on that, can anyone tell me or does anyone have experience on this? Will the 4.0 match up with the same transmission from the 2.4, or do you have to change everything out? Believe it or not the 4.0 are cheaper and more available than the 2.4. Thanks for your help!

Sorry to hear about the engine failure. I can't say on the 4cyl to 6 cyl conversion. From what I've read, the conversion isn't that easy. I believe I read the trans has to be swapped out. Not sure on the trans case. I'm sure you can search the conversion as it has to be a pretty common topic.

Think we gone over this several times, do a search for a complete listing of what needs to be changed but the 4.0 requires you changing your motor mount positions. Your most likley running a 5 speed? The ax-5? It will not stand up to the 4.0. Then theres wiring ecu and other stuff to consider. Its cheaper to do a v8 conversion than trying a 2.5/2.4 to 4.0.

Back