Greasable Ball Joints - Dana 30

dandoc

So I'm in the process of replacing both upper and both lower ball joints on my front axle (Dana 30). I removed the brake equipment, hubs, axle shafts, and knuckles. Today I installed the passenger side ball joints, both came with the zerk grease fittings. I took liberty and flushed out the factory grease and installed a 90º zerk fitting on the lower ball joint for future grease applictaions. Things were going fine until I installed the axle shaft.... NOT ENOUGH CLEARANCE FOR A ZERK FITTING! :shock: I removed the 90º fitting and installed a straight zerk... still no luck.

Turns out I can't use any zerk-style grease fitting. Now I've got a greasable lower ball joint with an open hole in the top, begging dirt & other undersireables to enter the ball joint when I take the Jeep out for a drive. At this point I can't take it back to the store, and I certainly don't want to remove it from the axle. What can/should I do about this hole? I've thought about getting a needle grease fitting but don't know if it will fit (depth). Suggestions welcome and needed... fast!

This is common, and the grease fitting is included only for the initial lubricating and during service when the axleshaft is removed. Your balljoint should have included a plug for the hole that will clear the axleshaft.

No plug was included with the balljoint. I guess I'll have to find something of a proper size that will serve that purpose and still clear the axle shaft.

Many hardware stores have a section near the bolts that are trays of odds and ends, many have trays of grease zerks and may have the plugs.

Auto parts stores should have them.

Thanks, Bounty. If I find nothing in the stores, I may end up using RTV gasket maker.

Back