has anyone had this problem

philip29

hey i took my 95 cheorkee up to get the brakes checked out because my left front caplier lockup but then release it so say'd my brake pad wore a grove into my spindle . they would have to be replaced. does anybody know if jeep company made a recall on this problem.

The pad wore a groove into the spindle?? Maybe the rotor, but not the spindle. I call b.s. Maybe bad bearing wore a groove into the spindle, but the pads can't touch the spindle. There's a hub AND rotor in between the two.

think he means rotor not spindle yes excesive wear on pads to causing calipar to hyperextend can cause calipar to lock pushing pad hard on rotor causing grooves
rotors are cheap around $35.

i meant the caliper is where the driverside brakepad wore a noch n the right side of the caliper and only the left side workin . would that make the caliper lockup. also is there a fix that can be done to prevent this.

also is there a fix that can be done to prevent this.

There is a fix but not to prevent it only to repair it!
Calipers do go bad.

Is your brake fluid black (hydroscopic, it absorbs water)? If so you need to flush or bleed the system before you install a new caliper. Suck out the brake fluid from the plastic resevoir too and clean it as best as you can. Refill with new fluid and then start the bleeding process.
Check the rubber brake hoses that go to the caliper for dry rot or collapsed.

You will need a new rotor and front pads as well.
Are you going to do the work yourself?
You may want to replace both calipers for peace of mind.

we get that here a lot. what happens it the brake pad will start to ware into the spindle where it rests and slides on. this will cause the pads to stick and then slowly your front brakes will stop working all together. our fix is to weld over the grove and then sand it down back flat creating a good surface again.

Think they call those things the pad rails. I cleaned up the notch on mine with a wire wheel and MIG'd it. Just a couple of spot welds and a touch up with a file was all it took.
Some pads come with a rounded (push on) tab that goes on the part of the pad that rests on the rails, it is rounded and bigger than the typical notch worn in the rails.

Back