Hello im new here.

YJ-87

I just bought a 1987 jeep wrangler 5 speed transmission that has a straight 6 4.2L engine equip with a 2barrel holy carb. It's for my wife, she wants to fix it up a Lil at a time so I have been working on it for a week or two. She wants to lift it and I told her I would flip the axles and springs to give lift. Long story short she is not ready to buy new shocks and other parts needed for the change. So she asked me to put bigger tires on to lift it a bit. She doesn't want new rims so here is my question: what are the biggest tires I can fit on factory rims for this jeep?

Research the spring over axle (SOA) before jumping into it there's alot more than you think.SOA tends to be more expensive if done right than a bolt on kit. You should.pick up a set of lift springs and maybe a small body lift. You could fit a nice set of 33 under her.

29" is about as large as you can go on a YJ with no lift, maybe a 30" if you trim the flares to the line.

You can fit 31" or 32" if you install TJ fender flares. Lots of write-ups on the web about the swap, real easy.

Welcome to JEEPZ!
Got to agree with insufficient funds about the whole SOA mod. (Very costly if done right)
If shes not ready to put $$ into shocks, which is prob the last thing you will buy, maybe do some research, weigh your options, and start a piggy =)

3032514546-1.gif
and enjoy the forum!

If she isnt into offroading and just want a jeep with bigger tires and a lift to drive around, you could get a 2-3" body lift, 1 to 1 1/2" longer shackles (NOT 1-1 1/2" LIFT, JUST LONGER THAN STOCK). This should give you about 3-4" of total lift and should fit a 32-33" tire. Your rim is a 15", but the width is only around 7", so I would keep my tire width around 10.5. If she is into offroading, I would save for lift springs, shocks, bushings, tcase drop, drop pitman arm, longer brake lines, steering box brace.

I bought my YJ with 31's (H/T, not MT or AT), and it worked fine for the normal road, but it WOULD rub the flare with more than 2 people in the Jeep or when we would hit a speed bump or enter a garage. Still, while not ideal, it's doable if you don't plan to wheel it...

Actually, that brings up the question; you plan on wheeling or not? Because if you don't, then you can go cheaper routes like the Body Lift and shackles as mentioned (I would not go more than 1" on BL, and more than 1.5" longer shackles - as stated, not 1.5" lift, but 1.5" LONGER) and probably be able to fit 32"~33" tires. If you plan to wheel it, I would just go with a 4" lift kit and 33" tires... Mine has worked quite well with that combination along with some few other goodies (even with just 4 angry squirrels under the hood!).

Here's a quick clip of me putting that combo to good use...

And here's how the Jeep looks with said combo:

Felipe

Back