Hello

MT_D

Just saying hi. I've been riding around with my son in his YJ so it convinced me I needed to get one, so I just got a 1984 CJ. Has a 6cyl not sure the size, a 5 speed but have yet to get fast enough to use fifth not sure of any other spec yet I'm still researching it. It super fun though and came with a hardtop, softtop, bikini top (still looking for the girl who wears it :p), Harddoors, 2 sets of softdoors, my sway bar in the back seat so the drive home was interesting, and other stuff. I want to start with the powertrain and get it as best as I can. So any ideas on where to start, other that putting the swaybar on?

Attachments

• DSCN0259.JPG
    DSCN0259.JPG
    751.6 KB · Views: 88
  • DSCN0258.JPG
    DSCN0258.JPG
    805.7 KB · Views: 99

Welcome. nice jeep. Just as i did i changed all the oils greased everything i could and checked for leeks.

Nice ride. Looks like it already has a good start. Leave that swaybar off. Or put it on, drive it, and feel the difference. The rear one doesn't change the handling all that much. I've run with my fronts disconnected for weeks at a time. Most of the time I forget they're disconnected until I go to pull the pins or hear them clanking around under the seat. Try it with and without. See what you like.

Its just that the jeep is all over the road i assumed it was cause the sway bar was out. So whats the problem then I'm affraid to go over 50 cause it "sways" to much

It could just be out of alignment. It has leaf springs and a solid axle but the toe is still adjustable. Being that old it's also possible that it was flogged pretty good off-road and the frame or axles could be tweaked. I'd put the swaybar back on and get a 4 wheel alignment and see how it does after that.

Looks like you have a spring-over lift on that CJ. I have a spring-over lift on the front of my CJ and the sway bar is very important for a quality ride on the street. It gets disconnected when I wheel but street driving, I always connect it. I live in the mountains so the roads are winding and curved like a bacteria germ and I need it on to stay in my own lane.
Your transmission should be the Borg-Warner T-5 5 speed if it's original. It will have a 4.03:1 first gear in it and O.D. 5th gear. Not the strongest made but adequate if you're easy on it. Engine is the venerable 258 I6 known in the Wrangler as a 4.2L displacement 6. A junkyard TBI fuel injection upgrade can be the best thing you can do to that powerplant reliability wise. Transfer case is the Dana 300 and has the ability to be twin-stick converted. It may well be the best factory TC ever put in a Jeep. The axles will both be wide-track AMC 20 in the rear and a Dana 30 low pinion up front. Look for the letter stamped on the rear housing where the passenger tube goes into it. The stamp is on the flat spot next to the round hole cast in the housing opposite where the diff cover mounts. This will determine your gear ratio if nobody has messed with them yet. Yours is a factory 6 cyl 5 speed so most likely has 2.73-3.55 gears in it. There are tons of upgrades for those axles if you're going to wheel it in the rocks. Over all, the frame isn't as beefy as the YJ Wrangler frame but it's full box welded.
Use these letters to figure your gear ratio: D=2.73, B=3.32, A=3.54, H=3.73, C=4.10 gearing. If it's double stamped like AA, HH or CC, then you have the optional Trac-Lock limited slip carrier if it's still all factory original.
Best of luck and congrats on the Jeep purchase.....

Rick

4.0 would make a nice donor for the 258 using the head and intake ect prob even boost hp around 10% google this conversion theres a bunch

TBI=Throttle body injection

Instead of using the original carburetor,you can replace it with a throttle body that has a fuel injector in it.Doing that will give you some better throttle response,better atomizing of the fuel,and fuel all the time no matter the angle of the Jeep.Using a standard carb you need to be carful climbing steep inclines,it is possible to starve the engine of fuel,causing you to stall in the middle of the hill.

Dang! I wish Betty had come with a hard top. Hard to find any in these parts. Folks seem to hang onto 'em given the infamous climate we have here.

Back