(HELP) dana 30 & 35 with 4:88 gears info

Im looking for info on how good 4:88 gears are in dana 30 & 35's we don't have big rocks here in michigan so i just trail ride and hit the mud holes im only running 31x10.50x15 trxus mt tires with a 2.5 I know the axel's are not strong but will it hold up? and its not a every day driver. So if anybody is running this combo or know anybody is let me know thanks..

I wouldn't waste any money on the 35. Been there done that even bought lockers. Basically you can't polish a turd. Find a 44 out of a waggy and build it, will cost roughly the same and be a ton stronger. Also with 4.88s you don't have a lot of contact left between the ring and pinion and a few good bumps and the gears are toast.

leave it, like mentioned, D35 isn't worth it. plus the 31's are not a far departure from the stock 29" tires.

Despite what's been mentioned, the 4.88 gears will not break after a few bumps. The 2.5L is relatively easy on parts, as are most mud runs on 31" tires. I'd do it.

I hammered on my d35 with the 4banger, 32" swampers, a lincoln locker, and relatively tough trails. Never a problem. Regear and wheel the snot out of it.

I run de D35/D35 combo. First I ran it with 31's, and the gear ratio was fantastic! I could cruise down the highway in 5th without having to downshift every time I went up an overpass or whenever there was a head wind. Then I went to 33's, and it was not as great (wish I could go to 5.13 now...)

I wouldn't waste any money on the 35. Been there done that even bought lockers. Basically you can't polish a turd. Find a 44 out of a waggy and build it, will cost roughly the same and be a ton stronger. Also with 4.88s you don't have a lot of contact left between the ring and pinion and a few good bumps and the gears are toast.

While I do agree that it is better to spend your money on a D44, if you are only considering going to 31's, you should not have any problems with the D35 (especially if you are not planning on locking it). I have a locked SD35 (ARB) with 4.88 and 33's, and have not had issues (mind you, it's only been in for about a year now; I guess time will tell!).

As for the contact, while it is true you will not have a lot of contact area between the ring and pinion, you are also running 31's, so there is not a lot force needed (as would be the case with, say, 35's) to get the wheels running (also, you are running mostly mud and fire roads, so there is less stress on the drivetrain). IMHO, the D35 should hold up just fine to 31's. If you are planning on 33's, I would defenetly upgrade to D44 (especially if you plan to lock it).

plus the 31's are not a far departure from the stock 29" tires.

I disagree; consider that this is EXACTLY the same departure as going from 33 to 35's... You gain 1" of clearance for every 2 inches of tire size.

Despite what's been mentioned, the 4.88 gears will not break after a few bumps. The 2.5L is relatively easy on parts, as are most mud runs on 31" tires. I'd do it.

I hammered on my d35 with the 4banger, 32" swampers, a lincoln locker, and relatively tough trails. Never a problem. Regear and wheel the snot out of it.

X2!

Felipe

Im very hard on it and the only thing i broke was the diff but i think that was my doing somthing i should not have but yas fire roads and mud with just a little more but thats about it i have my two son's that ride with me. May26_0002.jpg

I wish you all the luck if you stay with it. I ran alloy shafts in mine with a locker and 33s and broke 4 shafts (3 passenger and 1 driver) before I junked it. Mine is in a XJ with a 4.0L so I was pushing a bit more weight too. Oh and I ran 4.56s.

I wish you all the luck if you stay with it. I ran alloy shafts in mine with a locker and 33s and broke 4 shafts (3 passenger and 1 driver) before I junked it. Mine is in a XJ with a 4.0L so I was pushing a bit more weight too. Oh and I ran 4.56s.
Which locker?

Its not realy a locker but limited slip but locks up good just dont play in the snow with it the cluches dont last $55 for new ones and having to instal them.. this is what im running now spicer track lock

dana1.gif

d1.jpg

30s and 35 will granade after extrem abuse not worth a penny to invest in a p.o.s. I would find a nice set of 44 s out of a waggy or get a 8.8 in rear and find a 44 for front dime a dozen in most junk yards mud is hard on the 30 and 35 so they just blow up

Well i thought of that and here in cedar springs michigan dana 44's are not a dime a dozen i have looked around i can have one shipped in for around $1000 then $250 for brackets have it cut to fit and any other thing i forgot so i think id go with a 8.8 for $300 but in do time..

I was running a Detroit. 8.8s are a pretty easy swap in a TJ and you get to run the same wheels. Just find one with 31 spline shafts and disc brakes just in case you brake a shaft. The brakes will hold the wheel on, been there and it got me back to the trailer.

Back