HELP I loose Control when I hit a big Bump

wizzard25

I have no clue what is going on with by Jeep. I have a 2003 Rubicon with 4.5 RE lift and 2" body lift running 35s. As soon as I hit a bump I loose all control of the jeep I have to slam the brakes It feels like my front tires are going to fly off.

Tires and wheels are right air and balanced
alignment was done not even a week ago
I guess I just have a stupid Machniac who doesnt no what the hell is going on with it.

any help would be greatful

Welcome to the dreaded Death Wobble (DW). I've generally found that a worn or loose part allows a bump to escalate into full-on DW. Most common is a loose or worn out front trackbar.

Have somebody turn the steering wheel to full-lock while you watch both ends of the front trackbar. Have your helper bounce the steering wheel back and forth off of full-lock quickly, this will reveal any play in the ends of the trackbar.

There are other causes, like loose or worn out control arm bushings, bad unit bearings, etc.

Did you use a dropped pitman arm along with the lift? It could also be bumpsteering... If so, a Dropped PA will solve your problem.

Felipe

Yes I do have a RE pitman arm that came with the left installed that was my first thing I checked thinking Bump steer but Like above it is crazy shack like the whole jeep is going to fall apart I like Death wooble that sounds like it. bump steer is all the time this is only when I hit a bump It is a total lose of control I cant even keep my hands on the steering wheel it is that bad.:?|

Did you replace the steering stabilizer also? Running 35", you should also look at that. But that would only REDUCE the death wobble, not eliminate it. Check Bounty's post for eliminating the death wobble, but I would also recommend then a new Steering Stabilizer (plyus, they are cheap!).

Felipe

Death Wobble is usually caused by worn steering or suspension parts. If you don't feel comfortable doing the inspection yourself, take it to another alignment shop. They should (as Bounty said) check all the suspension arm bushings, track bar bushings, knuckle king pins (or ball joints), wheel bearings, tie rod ends, drag link, steering box mount bolts and last but not least...lug nuts.
If the alignment was done right then the caster and camber should be correct. If you don't feel it is, have them check it again.

Thanks everyone Im going to take it to another shop tomorrow at least I have a clue what they might be looking for Ill give everyone a heads up hope they find the trouble thanks again.

I'm betting loose track bar and bad alignment. I would guess they set it at zero toe in. With the oversized tires you need about 1/8" toe in.

I took it to one shop this morning Tuffys They looked at it and said the control arms are to short they wanted to put the stock ones on I told them they are shorter then the one installed. I took it to the second shop 4x4 action hope they have a better idea of how to trouble shot DW. Man what a pain in the ass this is. Cant drive the jeep over 30 and hit a bump or forget it Im totally out of control. Got to love this:x

Check the toe setting yourself with a tape measure. the measurement between the front edge of the tires should be slightly less than the rear of the tires. Just measure at the same spot (looking at the side of the tires should be at 3 and 9 o'clock).

Back