Help me out here...

TwistedCU

Okay so many of you know I am on the hunt for a YJ. I have one pretty much locked up (my old '88) but the guy is dragging his feet. I truly believe he will sell it to me but I am tired of waiting so in the meantime I have been looking...

So I got in touch with a buddy of mine to ask him if he had seen any or heard of any. Well long story short, I am going tomorrow to look at his 91 Sahara. Anybody who followed my relentless whining about not having a SWB for a few years now knows that is the Jeep I want. As a matter of fact it is THE Jeep that got me liking thew so much. SO anyhow, the price is right, and the drivetrain, body, and frame are solid so I may finally get a YJ tomorrow.

Can anyone tell me what it will cost me to replace the exhaust header (it's bad like most stock ones)???

I have heard prices ranging anywhere from $450 to $900.....guess it depends on where you go and who you talk to. I believe those include labor for a mechanic to do it....are you doing it yourself, or hiring it out?

I hate to throw a wrench into things but didnt they upgrade the fuel injection in 92 or 93. I think it was a big difference in hp. Check it out. Maybe you want a later year.

91 was the first year of the 4.0L and FI on Wranglers, also the last year for the old style rollbar ;).

...and yeah Sparky, I'll be installing it myself.

Theres a vender in my club and he sells them for around 5 something Canadian.Is aftermarket or just to replace the stock one?

ah memories.... my first jeep was a 91 Sahara.... miss her soooooo much!

Well I looked at it today. Where the header is 2 tubes, just before merging to one, the one nearest the back of the engine compartment is broken all the way around (not just cracked), so I'd need to fix it before it would pass inspection.

In addition to a new header, it also needs a windsheild, 2 tires, a pass side rear axleshaft, an alignment, a new horn button on the settering wheel, and a new valve cover.

The good news is the motor runs strong, the transmission shifts smooth (3 sp auto), and there is only one rust spot and it is manageable. It has a 2.5" Rubicon Express lift and 31" Cooper STT mudders, a hard top, Full and half hard doors, a bestop Supertop (in original Khaki color), and soft upper half doors.

Now I have a dilemma. The 88 that will fly through inspection, or the 91 that has lots of extras but needs work. They are the same price...

go with the 88 = if my old sahara had that many problems (only got rid of it cuz of the ex wife) i wouldnt miss it at all.... all youre giving up w/the 88 is the fuel injection.... (DEFINITELY MISS THAT!!) but it sounds like the 88 is more turnkey and you can always upgrade (okay... not much substance... just felt like typing....) hehehe!!!

Yeah, you know you want the '91, so get it. I can tell you're itching to have something to work on, not just something to jump in and drive off.......You'd be kicking yourself forever if you don't go with the '91 Sahara.....

Well the EFI (not throttle body injected) 91 will definately be a better engine to build a trail rig off of, but that is the only real advantage. The main downfall of it is I would have to wait a little while (few weeks) to get it on the road because I would have to fix some things to get it inspected. The lift kit means nothing, as I would build either of them bigger than where they are now... One other disadvantage is the lack of stock springs for a spring over...

There's a couple companies making replacement carbs that are supposed to work well at severe angles when offroad.

That Sahara is a sweet looking Jeep, but with all the crap it needs, I am torn between the two. I dunno, my buddy Kevin with the 91 said he would only wait until next weekend for me to decide so I need to decide soon.

Here's the 91 next to my (now former) XJ at Greenridge on 1/1/05:
VAQSGPDRM0485crop-2.jpg

another shot:
2Gr-1.jpg

the '88 (now has alloys and BFG tires):
freshpaint-2.jpg

before I painted it:
Rough88YJ-2.jpg

Last edited:
currupt4130 said:
Hold off until you can find a 94 or 95. Just my .02
I cand find them, but they're out of my price range. If I buy a 94 or 95 in good shape, I won't be able to afford modding it. The 2 I am looking at are both $2500, bothe with hard and soft tops and little or no rust.

A rust free 94-95 sells for over 5K, at least from what I have looked at over the past year or so. The 88 I'm looking at could sell for a bit more, the 91 could too if he wanted to fix the little problems first, but I know he just wants to unload it and he's cutting me a deal because he's a friend.

Ok, well I just think that your askin for a few more problems going with an older vehicle like that, older systems, etc, but it sounds like you've got it figured out

Personally, I'd go with the newer one. The first mod I want to make to my engine is always the exhaust header! I'd try to talk the guy down a bit. Tell him about the other Jeep for the same price and you might sway him a little. I almost wish I'd have held off and bought a YJ. I love my TJ, but I'd have a serious off-road monster right now if I'd have spent all that money on the YJ.

Is it just me or does the '88 look a lot like McGeyver's Jeep?

Anyway, love my '88 and have only considered selling it once, yesterday, when I test drove an "06 Rubi.8) Starting with a blank Jeep kinda leaves room for lots of improvement too.

Either one, doesn't matter.............get yerself another Jeep!!!! You're wise enough to make the right decision, and live with whatever decision you make!!

my 2 bits

Back