Help! swap-worthy? part 2

JP

in efforts to replace my drivetrain... Will this work??

I Have a 95 yj 2.5 5sp AX-5 MPI (all toast -wrecked 5th & a cracked block)

Found a 99 TJ 2.5 5sp SFI w/38k drivetrain for about a grand

Will this swap work? Do all input & output shafts match up? are the EFI systems compatible or do I need to swap them? What is the Difference between SFI & MPI I thought they were the same. They pull the starter, is it a swap from mine? how many cans of PB am I going to need? ( hehe ) and on & on & on....

Sorry for all of the ??'s I have so many more! But, this is my daily driver & I'm trying to be prepared for a weekend swap & the more I dwell on it, the more confused I'm getting.

It will bolt right in, but the price sounds about $200 to $300 too high depending on your location.

Both jeeps use MPFI, but you want to reuse the '95 FI, harness, and computer.

That's expensive. If you are going to spend that kind of money, get the 4.0. Guys are buying Vortec's here for that.
Do some research, but the motor mount and transmission mount holes will already be there for the 4.0. the harness will be different for the 6 cyl if it is a MPI (2 more injectors).
I'm no expert on this swap but I think you could get a lot more motor for the money.

guys... thats 1k for both engine & trans. Thats too high?

I'd love to do a 4.0 but, between motor mounts, the computer & everything else that isnt the same, I cant do it right now. literally I need this to be completed in a weekends time.

Mounts are different arent they?

Here's another tip on interchanging Jeep parts: get your Quadratec or 4wd Hardware catalog out and look at the part number between year models. The part number is the same for the starter. There is no performance chip offered for the 95 model but there is for the 97 and up models. That means that the computers are different. I think Jeep went to the OBD II system in 97.
Do your homework on the harness and the computer, the rest of it will all bolt together. The biggest tip is to buy as complete a motor as possible.

I guess a grand isn't too bad for both. But I would insist on getting everything. The starter, the motor mounts, the harness, computer and all accessories and brackets. The catalog showsa different part number for the 95 and 97 Wrangler motor mounts. Go ahead and spend the money and order the poly ones because the Autozone ones won't make it a year.

been there rooster, problem is for some reason the 99's are not listed alot in there for simple replacement parts (maybe they just think they wont break!)
I'm lucky because the motor comes with pretty much everything... distributor, efi, exhaust manifold, etc... they do however pull the starter, and alternator.. stuff they can sell as a replacement parts.
Thanks!

Sounds like the swap should be pretty easy. You can call Painless to see if the harnesses are the same. Most of the time the harnesses from the salvage aren't reusable anyway. I don't think yours is going to work.

Use your '95 'puter and harness, just use the '99 block, head, and transmission. It will bolt up to the transfer case and motor mounts just fine.

Don't use poly engine mounts unless you like annoying vibes.

right on.. poly is good for suspension... but is too rigid for mounting the motor

what else will I be able to use... Injectors? Intake? Exhaust manifold? I'd like to replace as much as possible, she's gettin kinda tyred...

I just bought a new sledge hammer, call me, I will make it fit!! jk

The OBDI and OBDII will not effect the engine ability to run, only to detect errors in the system. That should not be an issue.

Retain the computer in the 95. Pull the block and the transmission at once. to make this easier take off the grill. All the harnesses should be plug and go. Altenators and starters and other such things you can get at napa!

thats all I need? I dont know how I've lived without a BFH for so long... time to get me one... :idea:

Back