HELP used tcase rebuilt and now no 4lo through shifter..

95XJCountry

hi. i had a local good shop get a used tcase because mine was toast. they did new seals, new fluid, checked chain, etc. they cant get 4lo to work with shifter in cab. if they make that work, then i have no 4hi via shifter. but 4lo works if you manually put it in from the tcase. i have the command trac in a 95 jeep cherokee country. heres the problem. i know my 4lo and 4hi have always worked from shifter. he mentioned there were 2 wrong size bolts in linkage, too short. he put the right ones in. but its just not adding up. he is telling me he doesnt want to weld/lengthen it because hes not sure it will work. he had asked me to just take it with no 4lo; but hell, i took it in with 4lo and 4 hi. i cant see accepting only 4hi as a feasable option.
please tell me someone can shed some light on what to do at this point. the first tcase was wrong he got. the other place wants twice as much. i can get one off of ebay for 250 and hell refund the 350 i paid for the one he put in, but it all seems so iffy right now. im questioning, could the linkage have gotten broke? he said the tcase numbers match. its a np231j like i had in it. :???:

95XJCountry said:
hi. i had a local good shop get a used tcase because mine was toast. they did new seals, new fluid, checked chain, etc. they cant get 4lo to work with shifter in cab. if they make that work, then i have no 4hi via shifter. but 4lo works if you manually put it in from the tcase. i have the command trac in a 95 jeep cherokee country. heres the problem. i know my 4lo and 4hi have always worked from shifter. he mentioned there were 2 wrong size bolts in linkage, too short. he put the right ones in. but its just not adding up. he is telling me he doesnt want to weld/lengthen it because hes not sure it will work. he had asked me to just take it with no 4lo; but hell, i took it in with 4lo and 4 hi. i cant see accepting only 4hi as a feasable option.
please tell me someone can shed some light on what to do at this point. the first tcase was wrong he got. the other place wants twice as much. i can get one off of ebay for 250 and hell refund the 350 i paid for the one he put in, but it all seems so iffy right now. im questioning, could the linkage have gotten broke? he said the tcase numbers match. its a np231j like i had in it. :???:

The linkage could have broken or bend has he was taking it out. But if u knew u had 4hi and 4lo when u took it in then he should fix it cuz his job isn't done till your satisfied and the work is complete. He is giving up on it that's way he is trying to get u to take it.

i think the same, and he possibly doesnt realize it. i moved to the mtns, have no garage, drive, etc. i used to run dealership service depts in the big city haha. my luck! salvage yards are pretty limited. ya think you could just get the linkage somewhere. hes taken it out 3 times (the transfer case) and hell take it out again if i want him to put a tcase i get in it at no charge. im just leaning toward linkage. can you buy linkage new on quatdratec or from jeep or something? i dont mind payin for linkage if the jeep works. hell, i cant go off road in 4H

95XJCountry said:
i think the same, and he possibly doesnt realize it. i moved to the mtns, have no garage, drive, etc. i used to run dealership service depts in the big city haha. my luck! salvage yards are pretty limited. ya think you could just get the linkage somewhere. hes taken it out 3 times (the transfer case) and hell take it out again if i want him to put a tcase i get in it at no charge. im just leaning toward linkage. can you buy linkage new on quatdratec or from jeep or something? i dont mind payin for linkage if the jeep works. hell, i cant go off road in 4H

I'm almost positive you can get linkage from all those sites u listed. Maybe cheaper once on eBay as well. But it does sound like a linkage issue since u stated that both 4lo and 4hi work but u just can't shift from inside the cab

The linkage is adjustable to. It is adjusted with t case and selector in 4 lo then loosen the adjuster and push it into the t case lever then tighten the adjuster

Back