help

I to have an 87 YJ and my fule gauge is off. I run out of fule at about 1/4 tank. I fill my tank reset my trip meter and then at about 200 miles I just fill er up again. Never have a problem after that. The other way to fix this is to drop the tank and put in a fuletank gauge / sender unit at a cost of about 75.00 plus bucks. This is all hear say as I have opped to not go in and fix this what I consider a minor problem. Hope to hear other comments on this subject here. Maybe a ez fix I don't know about. Tug[addsig]

my 91 is the same way, it reads full when the tank is full but at about 1/2 tank i run out of gas, i do the same thing as tug, just set the trip meeter every time i refuel, i'd say i go about 180-200 miles per tank, depending on how much lead is in my foot[addsig]

other ways to fix it are to drop the tank and adjust the float to try and make the guage more accurate along with cleaning the contacts on the sending unit.[addsig]

I need to know what wire runs the fuel gauge[addsig]

I have a 90, if yours is the same, look up next to your fuel tank on the left side (up high) the double plug is the sending unit plug. If your gauge is working at all, unpluging the connector will make the gauge go all the way up. The colored wire is the same color, all the way to the fuel gauge, the black wire (sometimes blck with a stripe) is the ground. The power runs to most of the gauges (they share power) then to the fuel sending unit, then to ground. If the gauge stays at the bottom, it´s power in (or a dead short), if it goes all the way to the top it´s an open circuit (broken wire,connector,bad sender)if it stops at a half tank or so, it often means the contacts at the back of the gauge (or at a connector) are oxidized or corroded. The amount of current coming out of the gauge, to the sending unit, is really small, a little corrosion will mess things up.[addsig]

Thanks Everyone I got it working
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Back