Helpful Opinion!

segator

I used to own a 77 cj-5, was a fine jeep but had to let it go and I bought a 89 chevy truck. I am pondering about buying another jeep, but a newer model. I have looked at ebay and my local paper and wanted some opinions on what to be careful of when looking for something to convince the mrs. with and not break the bank. Just asking, thanks

Welcome back segator.

I had an 85 CJ7 for years and loved it, but it was really spartan, uncomfortable, and hot in the summer. I've now got a 2005 TJ, and it's great. You still get the open air feeling of the old CJ, but it's a much better daily driver.

I suggest making a short list of what's important to you. For me it was AC, auto, soft top, and 6 banger. Watch out for rust, and if you're buying a Jeep with a lift kit, make sure it was installed correctly.

I found my truck in the paper, but don't forget to check craigslist as well. Go drive several to get a feel for the new ones.

To start, if you're not looking to break the bank a YJ (1987-95) will likely be where you'll find the most Jeep for your money. You could even find another CJ for about the same or less money. Have you given thought of what you want to do with this future Jeep? If the Mrs. doesn't mind the ride quality, CJ's and YJ's have the leaf springs, while TJ's (1997-2006) have coil springs all around and produce a somewhat smoother ride. The 4.0L inline 6 cylinder engine is known for having a long working life. The 2.5L 4 cylinder engines will do fine as well, but offer less get-up-and-go, especially noticeable on the highway. The engine size is really a personal preference, coupled with what you intend to do with the Jeep down the road.

Be sure to check the underside of the Jeeps you look at, searching for major rust problems on the frame/chassis, evidence of fluid/oil leaks, and damage from off-roading. Also check the body mount bushings to see their quality. If the Jeep has had a lift kit of any sort, try to find out if all of the parts are there (you'll likely have to do research of what comes with lift kits of different brands), and who installed the kit. Try to find out the accuracy of the odometer. Another Jeeper on this forum was hosed when he found out the odometer was very inaccurate (it was likely swapped when the dashboard was changed out).

When searching online, request specific pictures of Jeeps you're really interested in. If it's not already online, ask for pictures of the underside (as much of it as possible), and the engine compartment. On the 4.0L 6cyl., oil can sometimes be blown into the air filter... request a picture of the top of the air filter box. I've seen far too many online listings where the only pictures are of the exterior and the tires/wheels.

No matter what Jeep you decide upon, keep in mind not only the price of buying the Jeep, but also the potential future purchases you'll need to make to repair, replace, and/or upgrade the Jeep. You've had a CJ-5 before, that should be preachin' to the choir ;) Check out the link in my signature below for a write-up of what I went through with my YJ... the site is not done, but you'll get some idea of what to look out for. Good luck with your search, and let us know if you need more input.

Back