hey from the mid west

raser13

hey guys, new jeep owner here. just saying hi from missouri. let's start off by introducing myself. hi, my name is roger and i'm a jeep owner.:cry: i'm been into amc vehicles for a long time now. mostly javelins not jeeps. but i saw one in town for the right price so here i am. plus my wife has always wanted a jeep and would have killed me if i wouldn't have gotten it. who's kidding who i've always wanted a jeep to. i'm 36 and live in a small town about 40 miles south of st.louis, have a wife of seven years and a beautiful 3 year old daughter that i'm convince will rule the world one day. in an evil genius kind of way.:twisted:

now on to what you guys are really interested in. the jeep! the CJ-5 is a '77 originally 304 vehicle. unfortunately some chuckle head along the way converted it to a ford 302 setup. the cj will be going back to a 304 mostly because i have one sitting around collecting dust, and the ford motor is missing out of the cj. all in all it's in good condition. the body and frame are rust free and the suspension is all together from what i see.

it does have a few issues which is why this will be a project vehicle for me. i have to convert the bell housing back to amc. the transmission and transfer case are still original to it. the rear drive shaft and gas tank are missing and some one along the way has torched off the entire rear break assembly. why some one would do that i have no idea but they did. i definitely have to get a back seat since i have a little one that needs to be in a car seat still. so i will have to locate all of these pieces to get it back on and off the road. BTW speaking of which if any one here know of junkyards in the st.louis area that might have old jeeps in them let me know please!!!!

well that's me the family and the jeep in a nut shell. i'm sure that i'll be hitting you all up for what seem like noob questions especially when it comes to the transmission and transfer case as i transition from being good with cars to knowing what i'm doing with a jeep. so enjoy the beauty shots below and the link to the rest of the pics and stay tuned as i rebuild a piece of history the right way.

roger

DSCN0040-1.jpg

jeep1-1.jpg

jeep2-1.jpg

oh yeah, forgot someone welded in the back seats of what looks to be a pontiac grand am for the front seats.

jeep7-1.jpg

cats jeep pictures by javelin1974 - Photobucket

Welcome to Jeepz.com. Looks like you've got a nice Jeep to build from

Welcome to Jeepz. Looks like a PO also converted to spring over axles...you'll probably want to check out the quality of the work done very carefully before you put your right foot too deep into that 304 power.;) Good luck on the project & keep us posted on the progress!!

Welcome to Jeepz. Looks like a PO also converted to spring over axles...you'll probably want to check out the quality of the work done very carefully before you put your right foot too deep into that 304 power.;) Good luck on the project & keep us posted on the progress!!
what would be the best way to test them? besides putting my foot in the carb?

I'd rock it as hard as I could & watch for any movement were there shouldn't be....also I'd check the welds(visual) & angles(square it up). Compare the steering geometry to a known good Jeep(picture in manual or a buddys Jeep). Then if all looks good & tight take it for a short slow ride & see how it feels. Just my 2 cents.

thanks for raising the concern. i've never dealt with a raised vehicle before. all i looked at was to make sure that all the welds looked solid. they did or i wouldn't have bought the thing in the4 first place. but i'll check on them being square and try to do a good bounce test. plus i have a friend that lives on a gravel road that would double for a off road trail that i plan to go down a few times once i peice this back together. then i'll think of having passengers.

Back