Highway Steering Fun

toneal

Well I took my jeep out on the highway for the first time this weekend and it was quite an adventure.. I figured it wouldn't handle that great, but a couple of times I felt like I was going to lose control after it started wandering back and forth.. After getting a feel for it after a while, it wasn't as bad, but I'd like to do whatever I can to improve the handling on road since I'll need to use it on the highway every now and then..

My steering stablizer looks pretty old, I'm assuming it's stock but not sure.. The bushings are pretty worn out.. Will a new stabilizer help out the road wander at higher speeds? If so, any recommendations?

I also don't have a front swaybar and was thinking of adding one with disconnects. Any thoughts on this? Will this help with straight ahead driving or will it just provide improvement while turning?

[addsig]

I would think that adding a sway bar in the front would help a LOT. But on the other hand, ive heard several guys talk about running without the front sway bar.... so maybe i dont know as much as i thought :lol: [addsig]

i think a swayabar would help a lot maybe put it on and get an alligment the stearing stab a new one might help it's worth a try [addsig]

Yeah man get a new steering stabilizer, from what I have heard from other CJ guys it really makes a lot of difference and should help the wander. [addsig]

Last night I went out and took a closer look at the stabilizer and found out it's a Rancho.. It had been painted so I didn't see any markings before.. Still don't know how old it is, but it's not stock and the bushings are in pretty bad shape..

I'm gonna get under there and see if I can get a part number today and see if it's an older or newer model..
[addsig]

Thanks for all the input.. Springs, shackles, and bushings are new so I think they're ok.. How do I go about checking the front wheel bearings, and what exactly should I be looking for..
[addsig]

With the front wheels off the ground and jeep properly supported:
  • Shake the tire while holding it at 3 and 9 o'clock, this will check for worn tie-rods
  • Shake the tire while holding it at 12 and 6 o'clock, this will check for worn ball-joints
  • If the wheel vibrates in every direction and the knuckle does not move = worn wheel bearings

edited by: Bounty__Hunter, Feb 27, 2003 - 04:29 AM[addsig]

How wide are your 33 inch tires? When using wider tires on the street you'll get a lot wondering of your vehicle. The roads have small ruts in them caused by all the cars driving on them that you can't really see. When you go to a wider tire and also if you have off set wheels that stick out further, your tires won't ride in these ruts properly. You'll really notice when you hit your brakes...it'll be all over the road. Also, bias-ply tires don't help any either.

edited by: Craig, Feb 27, 2003 - 12:40 AM[addsig]

I feel your problem man. I have sort of the same issues. Try a extra steer stabalizer. Like a dual shock. That helps. I cant use mine anymore because of custom draglink. Mine drives like crap on the road. Oh well, there is a price I have to pay to go real big.[addsig]

Craig, tires are 33x12.5 - Bounty_Hunter ,thanks, I'm going to try your suggestions on Sunday..

How much play should their be in the draglink? If I stand in front of the jeep and grab the draglink, I can rotate it a little bit.. Is this ok?

If I don't find anything wrong, I think I'm gonna go ahead and add a new steering stabilizer, not sure if I'll go with a single or dual.. Also gonna look into getting an anti-sway bar if I can find a decent deal - anyone know where I can get an OEM sway bar? The only one I have found is $140 at Addco.. [addsig]

Back