Homemade JK rock rails

Maize & Blue

My 1st posting to this forum::coffee:
Has anyone attempted to build their own angle-iron rock rails for a JK unlimited? I saw EXACTLY what I wanted for my wife's and MY Wranglers...it was the TeraFlex rock slider that combines a running board with a rockrail (made from aluminum). I have 2 sets to buy and $1,100 is a little out of the question for this mod at present time. I also have some spare time on my hands...due to Michigan's economy :cry:.
I'm thinking 4"x4" angle iron. I can try and bend the vertical piece to match the rockerpanel contour:scratch: and bolt thru the pinch-point AND tie back to the frame. OR straight down, use small-bore pipe to bridge the offset to the pinchpoint (factory-drilled holes) then tie into the frame from the bottom of the vertical side.
These are brand new (basic) Unlimited JK's that we use in our new business venture (energy consulting) and want to minimize/eliminate the number of holes that we drill in the body. The TeraFlex units have nutzerts along the bodyline below the door openings. I don't plan on doing too many rockgardens, since trail-rash doesn't impress most of my clients :???:. We chose the Wranglers for bad Michigan roads, sand dunes and trail riding. I'm more interested in keeping the stone chips and mud build-up off the paint (and giving my wife a step-up into the vehicle). BIG QUESTION: Can I get away with pinch-point and frame tie-in,...or do I need to also tie into the body under the doors :?:
I'm figuring RhinoLiner spray on the finished product.....
I can weld and fab :sawzall: :welder:

Thanks for any insight you can offer,

Don B.

I'll post some pics as I go....

Yes, pinch weld and frame tie ins are OK, but it would be smart to run the guard up the ide as hi as you can.

If I am understanding what you are proposing right, you would be better to just get some 3/16" (absolute min.) flat stock and weld and piece it together that way. just get varying wideths. I would bolt it through the bottom as well as through the side.

I made both my Rock rails and Rocker knockers myself, I traced the pattern for the rocker knockers and plasma cut them out of 3/16, 1018 steel, and had the 6 inch bend put in at a sheet metal shop for 15$. They reach under and mount to the three body mounts and I used SS button head cap screws to bolt through the sheet metal. The sliders were made with help from a friend who, showed me how to use a tube bender for the first time. We made them first, and I ran them for a few years, till I put a rock through one of the openings and crushed my tub. Thus I made the Rocker knockers, to cover up the slight dent.
I like the slider separate from the rocker knocker, given that if I hit the slider hard it still doesn't bend the tub because of the extra metal.

ya but he has a JK, the side of the JK is not a 90* bend it's like a 40* and a 50* and it is not absolute flat/straight

Yeah, I don't know why they had compound angles for the sides like that?! This is my 1st Wrangler since my '76 CJ5 many moons ago........
Because I have to fab 2 sets of these, that's why I initially thought of going straight down the side and using pipe nipples over the bolts to tie into the pinch-point. The more I think about it....I think a "Z" shaped piece might just work :idea:. The bottom horizontal would go below the pinch-point and tie-into the frame. It would also keep mud and salt (Mich. roads :evil:) from accumulating in the gap....maybe. I need to go take some measurements.
Otherwise, I will probably have to "contour-fab" like jps4jeep was saying....That's a lot of welding :shock: (4 rails x 6+ FT). I'll check into having it bent too. I don't think you can put that many offsets that close together.
Thanks for the input...

Don B.

I just took a look at a JK and there should no problem laying two bends that close. Since the total bend will equal 90 degrees they will have no problems what so ever, doing that with a single set-up. They will be doing air bends over a 3/8 coining die. Just mark the center line of each bend on the part and give them the angle, letting them know that it was taken on the inside of the bend.

Thanks for the input on the bend process. I'll check with my steel provider to see if they can bend that for me. Otherwise, I'll probably stitch-weld w/5P or Low-Hy rod. I might even MIG it. I got to finish another project that I'm on for work/school before I pick this up....just looking and doing a little research 1st. The metal in 4" X 4" X 1/4" angle iron (26') is around $180.
Thanks for your input(s)

Don B.

Back