how do i make custom brackets?

jeeperjoe

i have a 76 cj7 with a small block chevy and im dying for onboard air. i know its a long shot, but does anyone have this mod? i have a york just sitting around. space is gonna be an issue. i know it can fit, but its gonna be tight. im gonna need some custom brackets and i have no idea how to make them. how hard could it be? do i need a welder? im pretty handy and would like to make them myself, if i could. can anyone give me some tips?

the install is not very hard at all... mounting is the hardest part.... basically, get your belt first, then hold the compressor in the new belt so that you get most of the slack out of it.. that is where you will want it mounted... have a partner use some cardboard to make some templates for brackets... you will want to mount it to the motor, not the frame, not the body... there should be bolt holes here and there in different places... if you have to unbolt one anything to bolt a bracket to.. make sure of clearances first

Don't know where you would mount the York on a SBC, but take a look at any CJ or SJ v8's that came with air and see how the factory AMC v8 york bracket looks. Maybe you can duplicate it or modify it to work for you.

thanks for the tips guys, that cardboard trick seems like a good plan, any idea of what size steel to use. and how do i bend the steel? do ya think a a propane torch would do the trick or do i need something hotter?

Any cold rolled steel should do the trick 1018 being the most common.
1/4 (.250) thick should hold the compressor tight. Torch bending in a steel vise will be ok just make sure your bends have a large radius ( not a sharp 90 degree angle) to keep the steel from stress cracking later on.

Back