how hard would it be to

hotwheelsnut

convert a 93 jeep over to carberated. would it be real costly or farly reasonable to do it. thanks for the help. forgot to add it is a 4.0

why are you wanting to do this? fuel injection is alot more efficient and usable on the trail or street for the average person. plus, you won't be able to pass emissions testing if you live in a state that checks for that kind of thing with out the injection system.

whats wrong with your system that makes you want to replace it? i am pretty sure it will be cheaper to replace then messed up part then to buy an intake and carb

the fuse box on the right side has been melted and i believe the ecm is fried now. i just want to get rid of computers and go old school.

I would be concerned with the electric fuel pump. The last time I messed with carberators was in the early 70's. Then we had a mechanical fuel pump mounted on the engine block. I'm not sure about the pressure from a mechanical versus an electric fuel pump. You can adjust fuel/air mixture on a carb but I don't know if it will compensate for the pressure? How are you going to adjust the timing? The cost to go back maybe more than replacing you current part and have to agree with superj!

The electric pump will totally drownd a carb at 50psi. It can be replaced with a universal electric on the frame pump (5-7 psi). But, I don't think your ignition will fire at all without the ECU.
I would get the stuff to return the jeep to stock from the local pick-your-part. It's gonna be a pain, but well worth it.

don't only check wranglers, check cherokees that have the 4.0ho also, and grand cherokees with the I6 will have the same stuff also, i believe.

the intake can be gotten from any older 4.2 jeep with a carb. no idea on the price. the carb is going to be roughly 350 if you get a nice weber. the distributor will have to be from an older 4.2 also so you will have the mechanical/ vacuum advance instead of ecu controlled, no idea on cost of part. get a good holley or other brand name low pressure fuel pump, not just one from the parts wall at autozone or oreilly's.

its not hard and doesn't have to be expensive but the negatives are more then the positives on this swap. i did the same swap on my 1980 bmw to run a weber carb, and its cheap to do on bmws. i like carbs and know how to work them so it was nothing for me but unless you grew up working on them then its probably not going ot be beneficial for you to swap as you have ot know how to pick jets and how to set your mixture and idle screws properly. then, if you live somewhere where there are actual seasons, not like where i live where its warm pretty much yea round, you have to adjust your carb when the temps change or when you drive in the mountains because carbs don't self adjust for different altitudes or pressures.

if you can find a wrangler older hten yours, i think all the 6 cylinders prior to mine and yours are carb'd so there would be all your parts but don't use that factory carter carb, i hear htye have lots of trouble because the carb is electronic.

once you fix your fuse box though, the ecu is nothing. just get one off ebay for cheap

i think i found a ecm, wiring harness, and another electric fan. only thing is it is in a 5 speed jeep cherokee. some tell me the ecm will work and some tell me it wont. this fuel injection is mind boggling to me lol. i can work on an old model but not to good on new models. i am going to try to fix it back like it was. if i can't get it done there will probably be a v8 replacing the 6 in it now. thanks all

i think as long as its from a 90-96 or 98 cherokee then you will be ok

i dont think the fuel maps in a 5 spd ecu would work too well considering the maps arent the same for each gear... (auto is 4 gears) i dunno. just throwing that out there lol

the maps don't run off the gears, they run off certain parameters called out by the map, tps, and temp sensors. there is a big map and the different bits of info are all used to plot a point where the injectors are then opened for however many milliseconds

and i only know this from trying to megasquirt a bmw i used to autocross. being computer illiterate kicked my butt on that deal :(

buy the right parts and fix it correctly. starting with the source of ignition that burnt the fuse block to begin with. or sell it and put the money you would dump into this thing and look for one that runs. either way if you think going back to a carb is a good idea you probably shouldn't be working on your own junk or anyother vehicle.

Back