how much lift

Tyler Bates

I have a 99 tj ready for a lift its going to be a trail rig for the most part but what's the highest lift I can do without having to do extra just want a complete out of the box bolt it on comes with all I need and how big of tires can I get as well I was thinking a 4 inch suspension with 33s it also still has stock axles and a 4 banger

Consider the Rough Country 4" kit, it's a quality kit at a great price. I would recommend adding JKS swaybar disconnects and a Teraflex adjustable front trackbar. Great lift for under $600. You can clear 33" tires easily with this kit.

Consider the Rough Country 4" kit, it's a quality kit at a great price. I would recommend adding JKS swaybar disconnects and a Teraflex adjustable front trackbar. Great lift for under $600. You can clear 33" tires easily with this kit.

That's pretty much exactly what I did with my 98 wrangler, and I'm very happy with it. I'd recommend it.

4" lift is plenty for 33's, I'd put 35's on it. 2" BB and 1" BL fits 33's real nice. I am a fan of the 2" bds lift. IMHO a 4" spring on a short arm suspension is really pushing it.

Looked at the lift and I think Im going to order that one the other question is with that lift will i need a yoke slip eliminator? And is the 4 cylinder going to have enough power to be worth building I heard they have more than enough torque for the trails but I dont know

From what i've heard with a four inch lift you don't have to get a sye kit although it's right on the edge...

Looked at the lift and I think Im going to order that one the other question is with that lift will i need a yoke slip eliminator? And is the 4 cylinder going to have enough power to be worth building I heard they have more than enough torque for the trails but I dont know

The Rough Country kit comes with a transmission drop kit. If you're not going to use an SYE, I'd highly recommend it to avoid driveline vibes. (I do know two folks who have 4" lifts with no SYE or drop kits and have only experienced minimal vibrations, but that still tends to put a lot of unnecessary strain on u-joints and such).

You will need to make some mods to the shift linkage, and the instructions may not accurately fill you in on it. But, those of us who have used this kit can help if you need it.

As stated before, 33's will clear just fine. IMO, 35's would be pushing a 4-banger pretty hard without some gearing changes. But, that's up to you.

The Rough Country kit rides and flexes great, especially with the front sway bar disconnected (remember to get extended brake lines if you do!!). I did quick disconnects for $15 worth of hardware parts. It's noisier, but easier to disconnect and reconnect (IMO) than the store-bought kits.

Set aside at least half-a-day (depending on how much help you have) to install the kit.

Enjoy, and happy wheeling.

The Rough Country kit comes with a transmission drop kit. If you're not going to use an SYE, I'd highly recommend it to avoid driveline vibes. (I do know two folks who have 4" lifts with no SYE or drop kits and have only experienced minimal vibrations, but that still tends to put a lot of unnecessary strain on u-joints and such).

You will need to make some mods to the shift linkage, and the instructions may not accurately fill you in on it. But, those of us who have used this kit can help if you need it.

As stated before, 33's will clear just fine. IMO, 35's would be pushing a 4-banger pretty hard without some gearing changes. But, that's up to you.

The Rough Country kit rides and flexes great, especially with the front sway bar disconnected (remember to get extended brake lines if you do!!). I did quick disconnects for $15 worth of hardware parts. It's noisier, but easier to disconnect and reconnect (IMO) than the store-bought kits.

Set aside at least half-a-day (depending on how much help you have) to install the kit.

Enjoy, and happy wheeling.

Thanks for the advice I have a shop with a lift I have access to so have all that covered but as far as extra things that the lift doesnt cover i will definately need the to do list on that Ive done spring overs but this is my first actual suspension lift Ive ever done

You do not need a SYE if you use the included transfer case lowering kit.

Should you choose to go with a SYE, you will also need adjustable upper control arms in the rear to adjust pinion angle.

The 4cyl can pull the 33" tires pretty good offroad in 4low but highway performance suffers. Regearing the axles to 4.88 someday will greatly help performance.

I found a 4 inch suspension lift on the rough country web site its 499 or for 1000 i can get one with the adjustable control arms? is their a way to do the 499 kit to where I dont need the adjustable control arms? it comes with the t case drop kit so would I still need the SYE?

Basically you will either do a t-case drop OR the SYE, one or the other, not both. The SYE would be a better option because you lose a little ground clearance when you drop the t-case. You could do the $499 kit with the t-case drop and you won't need adjustable arms or anything other than what is included with the kit.

^^^^^^^^^Jason4x4 is correct, do the 499 kit and you can avoid using the SYE. You give up 1" of clearance under the belly by lowering the transfer case, but you've already gained 4" from the lift and likely 3" or so from the tire change from 27"/28" to 33" tires, so 7"-1"= is still 6" improved clearance under the belly skid.

So you need to decide if that extra 1" of clearance under the middle of the jeep is worth the cost of the SYE (180-250), adj. upper control arms (200-300), and a CV rear driveshaft (100-350).

Yeah, and I think that 33's will be about the max you want to put your stock TJ axles through. 35's will kill them! Of course, i'm one to talk with 3.25", 31's and stock axles... :lol:

Back