how much more lift to fit bigst tires drvtrn can handle?

rtoney9

I have a 95 YJ 4banger with a 2 in. body lift right now. I am running 31x10.5x15 Cooper Discoverer S/T s. I want to know what is the biggest tire size my engine and transmission can handle? I have 4.11 gears. And what size lift would I need to run the tires? I am looking at a suspension lift.

If you care about performance, I wouldn't go bigger than 31's. But I've seen 4 bangers with as large as 35's. But they are dogs. I'd say 35's are too big. I know online I saw a guy get flamed to hell on another board for having 44's on a 4 banger with stock axels. I don't think he had geared down though.

Stick to 32's at the most. 33's + You may hot burn your transmission if you aren't careful. Are you auto?

Go here for suspension vs. tire size chart: http://www.jeeptech.com/tire/#What_fits

BTW- if you go big, you have to regear. Or you WILL kill your transmission. I'd gear as much as possible... maybe to 4.88's. 32's you can get away with 4.56's. 33's or more, you better gear to 4.88's.

Do you know what axel you have? You don't want to put 35's on a dana 35. Best stick to 33's or lower if that's the case.

But my recommendation would be to go no bigger that 32's.

manual trans. not sure about the axle, but pretty confident they are OEM. Could I fit 32's with a 2 in. suspension lift, and still have decent flex w/o rubbing?

Manual? Then you probably don't have to gear down as much or at all (but it's still a good idea). Many on this board run 32's with 4.10 gears and do fine. 32's are a good choice, but I think you need at least 3" of lift to avoid rubbing.

Hey YJ guys???? Where are ya?

I have a 94 4.0, and I have 33's on stock axles. I have a 3.5 suspension and 2 body. flexing is fine,no rubbing. 33's are about the extent the stock driveline can handle. If you're a pavement pounder, then you should be able to get away with 33's on a 4" sus. lift

if you don't intend on regearing... i'd say go 32 with a 3.5 inch lift

If you care about performance, I wouldn't go bigger than 31's. But I've seen 4 bangers with as large as 35's. But they are dogs.

:? Depends on the 4 banger.
I used to love it when dudes who think like that pulled up in the next lane.

mingez said:
Do you know what axel you have? You don't want to put 35's on a dana 35. Best stick to 33's or lower if that's the case.

If its stock, a dana 30 up front and a dana 35 rear.

rtoney9 said:
manual trans. not sure about the axle, but pretty confident they are OEM. Could I fit 32's with a 2 in. suspension lift, and still have decent flex w/o rubbing?

That would be a perfect setup (4" of lift including the body lift you already have and 32's) if you want to keep the drivetrain as-is. 32's on the 4.11 gears works pretty well if your motor is running well. You should have plenty of room for flex as well.

Junkpile said:
If you care about performance, I wouldn't go bigger than 31's. But I've seen 4 bangers with as large as 35's. But they are dogs.

:? Depends on the 4 banger.
I used to love it when dudes who think like that pulled up in the next lane.

True dat. But 35's??? With stock gears?

Yah, I'm sure some of the 4 bangers out there can at least keep up with traffic, but all I can do is dream about it. Mine can barily make the 31's turn fast enough (w/4.10's) for driving on any road with a slight incline. It's good up to about 35mph, but after that, it barily gets up to speed!

I am, however, putting 33's or 35's on it sometime soon...that'll be interresting.

88Wrangles said:
Yah, I'm sure some of the 4 bangers out there can at least keep up with traffic, but all I can do is dream about it. Mine can barily make the 31's turn fast enough (w/4.10's) for driving on any road with a slight incline. It's good up to about 35mph, but after that, it barily gets up to speed!

I am, however, putting 33's or 35's on it sometime soon...that'll be interresting.
You need to get that thing running right then...

A few mods and fresh ignition components could go a long way. You won't be clocking 1/4 miles, but it should be doing better than that.

The suspense is killing me. YOU KNOW IT IS BAD WHEN YOU DREAM ABOUT THE CONVERSION. i EVEN WAKE UP IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT THINKING ABOUT THE STEPS I NEED TO TAKE.

bryanjeep, did you ever decide for sure what combo you are going to run? Axles, transmission/tcase? I remember you were having second thoughts about the 700R4.

I've got 33s on my stock 4cyl and it runs just fine...I didn't buy my jeep to go fast.....I don't think I would go bigger than 33 without getting a stronger axel or a super 35 kit... mine fit just fine under my 4"sus and 1"BL with lots of room to flex

Since I wont be able to afford the axles/ larger tires at the same time, I am just going to use the 5.7, np231, and 700 r4. I know I will be more than happy. I will have to get to the axles later on. I am in need of something reliable for now though. I bought a shitty Nissan truck with some of that conversion money so now I am held back even longer. I am still looking at summer time though!

Back