Install 4" RC Lift on 2005 Rubicon

jhd744@tnni.net

I just finished installing my 4" Rough Country lift kit on my 2005 Rubicon. It wasn't too tough to install, some things you will need/want include two sets of jack stands, one for the frame, the other for the differentials. We used a large and small set which worked really well. You can completely remove the old suspension parts with the diffs supported by the jack stands, which made installing the new parts much easier. Air tools are really a big help, you can complete the install with hand tools, but you will find yourself turning and turning and turning...you get the point. It's true, "The finest threads are in the toughest places". The air tools will exceed torque specs, but check with a TW anyway. You'll need a slip ring tool, a good drill with sharp bits, lots of light, a pitman arm puller (you can get one from Advance Auto, they have a buy and return policy that is really great). A magnet is handy if you drop a part in a frame bracket hole, like I did twice. Fasteners are an SAE/Metric mix, so have both at ready. You will only need a few wrenches, the important part is to have the right sizes (ha!). A bar is handy to move the muffler when removing the upper right control arm bolt, it's a tight fit, but you can do it w/o tearing off the muffler.

That same bar may be handy to line up track bars and control arms throughout the install. When installing the rear track bar, put the large jack stands under the frame, then you can use your floor jack under the pumpkin to raise and lower the differential until the mounting holes line up.

My nephew worked with me, he's done a few lifts before and was invaluable. No matter what, it's a lot easier with two! BTW we installed in my garage, working on the floor with no lift on a cold Saturday (~40 degrees). That's too cold for us Southerners!!

Right now I have a really bad vibration, am trying to solve by adjusting control arm's to change pinion angle. May have to go to SLE, am looking for input from you'all. Will post some pix later.

Kit is well built, seems pretty tough, would like to see stouter rear shock mounts and also a drilling jig for the front track bar bracket; it's hard to line up the holes thru the frame. Kit was complete, directions are pretty well documented. Give me a yell if I can help you!

Back