Installing OEM Console Subwoofer

ruajetpilot2

Update...

I removed the back part of the center console and was able to pull the console liner out. OEM sub/amp fit right in. I have attached the side screws to secure it. I will have the Best Buy installer run power to the OEM sub/amp tomorrow when I have the head unit installed. I also bought the subwoofer console storage tray ($43) so I still have a place to put a piece of gum & a pen. ;)

Now, I'm going to work on installing the 6.5 sound bar speakers in the spot for 5.25s

Thanks.

Hey Everyone,

New to the site and I apologize if this is a redundant post. I looked through several but I did not see one addressing my questions.

I have a 2006 Unlimited with 4 speaker factory system. I just bought a Kenwood HD942U head unit, Infinity 6422cfp 4x6s for the front (after reading posts I should have went with 5.25s), Infinity 6022s 6.5s for the soundbar.

I have installed the front speakers with no problems. My first question is installing the 6.5s in the sound bar, do I use both the plastic & metal frames sent with the speakers? Crutchfield does not indicate these will fit but after reading on other sites, I found other people have installed them.

I have also bought a new OEM subwoofer for the console. My system does not have a factory subwoofer installed. The console has the subwoofer grill on the driver's side but it has a panel behind it. Do I need to cut a hole inside the console liner or get a replacement liner designed for the subwoofer? I have ordered the subwoofer console tray but I don't know if it will have a different liner with it. This part arrives tomorrow with the subwoofer but they were not sold together.

The head unit installation is more than I feel capable of tackling, so I'm having Best Buy install it and want them to connect the subwoofer at the same time.

I wish I would have found this site before I decided to upgrade. :D

I appreciate your advise & expertise.

Thanks,
David

Last edited:

Welcome to Jeepz. The factory subwoofer is a unit that consist of the speaker, amplifier and enclosure. With this said, the subwoofer is rated at 80 watts with the amplifier supplying the output. As for the console interior liner, if it's removable, i would remove it since the subwoofer enclosure is fastened on the side and on the top inside of the console.

The Best Buy tech could not connect the factory subwoofer to the Kenwood head unit.

Anyone have any ideas on how to get it connected to the head unit?

Thanks.

Back