Is a 4 banger enough ?

MASH

New guy here. Just bought a 91 yj with a 2.5 in it for mpg reasons. Will it have enough nads under the hood to handle moderate off-roading or should I have held out for a 4.0 ? Regaurdless, I'm hooked .
image-missing.png
[addsig]

seems like the only people that never ask that question are the ones with a V-8null[addsig]

ive got the 4cyl 2.5l, and i wish it were bigger, but i havn't found an y lack-of-power related problems yet. ive ordered an intake system for more balls, and ill let u know if its worth it when i get it in[addsig]

HAHA!! 4 banger enough, thats kinda funny. It'll get you through mild stuff, but I'd recommend some good tires. I added intake and exhuast to mine and I can tell the difference. With the right driver, a 4 banger can go almost anywhere, except tall hills, deep mud, and loose sand.[addsig]

I Love My AMC 4 Banger and It has not failed me yet. Twenty plus miles per gallon. Very peppy and I get to the top of the trail at the same time the big guys do. When some one runs low on fule I am the man with plenty still in the tank. Remember the Tortis and the Hare Slow and Steady wins the race! It is great to sound off about the power and pull for the V8's and a six would be great. In a four you are less likely to stress out drivetrain parts and need to make costly repairs to the same. There can and most likely will come a time that a bigger engin Jeep will need to pull you over or out of something but you too will get a chance to be a trail hero in that 4 banger in a different but non the less fashion. There is a link somewhere on the webb the is devoted to the 4bangers I will look it up later. Have Fun Be Safe and catch you later Tug[addsig]

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE>New guy here. Just bought a 91 yj with a 2.5 in it for mpg reasons. Will it have enough nads under the hood to handle moderate off-roading or should I have held out for a 4.0 ? Regaurdless, I'm hooked .
image-missing.png
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE> dude ,,,, u can live with the little mighty 2.5 !!!!! i've run 35 MTRs with it and it's the little motor that could ... no one every thinks that it's under the hood of my YJ .... it suffers on the hwy some but on the trail i have never been out crawled...

bj

black jeep

1BIGMF
image-missing.png
[addsig]

i don't know, i've never driven a 4cyl, but i do know one thing about my I6...

i can race civics and eclipses on the street and beat them. they never see it coming and its loads of fun.[addsig]

i dont know how much better mpg you'll see out of a 2.5, i only got about 15-18 out of the 4 banger, and my buddy would get 17-20 out of his 4.0!!! even a v8 will get you 15-20 if you work it right...good luck with the 4 banger.[addsig]

Thanks for the re-assurance. I'm really happy with it so far, although you're right , the gas mileage isn't what I had hoped for. My brother showed me up a week after I got my Jeep by going out and getting a 97 tj 4.0 for the same price I paid.(Bastard
image-missing.png
).

Oh well ,live & learn. Mine looks better w/ the 31" tires and a slight lift. Havent had a real chance to get in the mud yet, just some mild utility road fun.[addsig]

My 4banger does just fine, onroad and off. You'll enjoy it, it's easier on parts and your wallet at the fuel pump. I wheel all day after converting my gas tank to hold 20 gal. The 6cyl and v8 guys usually fill up twice by then.

It's all in the gearing, it will do good offroad. Unless you want to race Civics, then you had better trade it in
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Are you happy?...if yes...then it's enough. If no...then get a six. Ask the same question to yourself in a year. Follow same line of questions and answers until there is a supercharged 12cyl under the hood. oohhhh....nice....that's my dream...eeexxxcellent Smithers.
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
[addsig]

I've got the 2.5 in my 90 YJ and it has plenty of guts. As for the mileage, well, that's another story. I was getting around 12 city MPG, so I decided to use that damned upshift light (no I haven't removed the bulb - yet) for a whole tank of gas. I actually increased my MPG to 14, but using the upshift light was like being a snail on stick-um and about as much fun. I'm going back to using my right foot the way God intended it to be used, and damn the MPG.[addsig]

hell ya its a good enough, i roll 31 which arent big but i can climb as good as my buddys 75 cj5 w/the 258 in it and if you got a 91 then you have real fuel injection instead of that throttle body injected unit put an intake a spacer exhaust on it and hold on not really but it will help it out loads like somthing around 20+ hp for around 200.00 if you shop right and cut corners if you want i will tell you how to make and intake for around 60 bucks and and exhaust as good as the gibson for around 40, but the spacer is the only thing that you have to pay full price for. good luck happy wheeling

marc[addsig]

I love my 2.5 for crawling. It actually has more torque in first and second gear and 4 lo than the 4.0.[addsig]

I've had my 92" with a 4 banger for 3 years now. Stock it has plenty of balls off-road thanks to the 4.10 gears that good ole jeep installs. I've installed a few things like a Tornado Air Management system(little metal thingy in intake-$70=10to15 hp), K&N($50=5to10hp), and some different spark plugs($10) and they've all increased my power. Besides, with a 4 cyl. your jeep is alot lighter, meaning that you can float on top instead pull you heavy v-8 though everything. Hope ya enjoy your 4 banger and keep on jeepin!

Paul [addsig]

raven if your 2.5 is so good why ru putting a 350 in it.......just kidding.....
image-missing.png
[addsig]

A 4-banger is fine...unless you plan on going up hills, desire to go faster than 60 mph (50 mph if you have 4 full size passengers, and 40 mph with 4 full size passengers uphill), plan to ever tow anything, hope to carry a load heavier than just yourself on and empty stomach and with empty bladder and bowels. Otherwise, a 4-banger is fine.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

I think the key is gearing when working with a 4 cylinder. I have a few friends that kick-a$$ in hard-core situations because they don't have to worry about all the weight that larger engines put up front. In fact, if you have doubts, look at this company--Tri-County Gear at: http://www.tricountygear.com/ These guys specialize in 4 cylinder Jeeps. Go to almost any rockcrawling competition and you can watch these guys go nuts in their 4 banger.
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Back