Is anyone using a rollbar tie in kit?

Craig

Hey. I've seen a kit advertised at our local shop that ties in a stock rollbar to the frame. It extends the stock rollbar through the floorboards where it is then welded to the frame. Anyone ever used one of these or heard anything good/bad about them? I've heard stories of the stock rollbar collapsing with just a little weight applied to the side from a sideways rollover. If that's the case, I don't think tieing it into the frame is going to do much. They want $112.40 Canadian ($89.92 US).

what does it do with the tie ins to the windshield? and what about the seatbelts? from what ive heard you dont want the seatbelts mounted to the body and frame (flex differences) and if its tied to the floor at the bottom and has the windshield tied in seems the flex will stress the windshield to the breaking point....

The windshield frame mounts and the seatbelts all stay the same. All it does is tie in the two rear points and the two middle points of the rollbar to the frame. I can't see it strengthing the rollbar all that much. You would still have no rollover protection around the windshield frame area. I'd hate to see what that would do to someone when the windshield frame crushes inwards in a rollover.

First off if you know who is selling it please post a link...I would like to see it.

Second I have Rock Hard's bolt in cage system that added two bars down from the window stay bars (OEM cage) to the floor and used there frame mount system and its now welded to my sub frame.
So far I haven't had any problems with my windshield cracking due to extreme flexing.

The front part of the cage ties in both window bar stay with a bar across the top and bottom of the window, then runs down the sides where another bar is bolted from behind the dash and runs to the floor of the tub.
There it feeds through the drain hole and the frame tie in runs from it to the frame. There is a flex joint just before the 'U' bracket that I welded to the sub frame instead of drilling through it and running grade 8 bolts.
So if this kit uses some sort of flex joint it should be worth it.

I wouldn't use a solid tie-in kit or you'll be making the body mounts useless for vibration dampening and shock absorbing. Use a frame tie-in that uses a bushing of some type, either a body mount type or the round type.

Back