Is it jus me?.....

JeffMohr

OK I have to ask. Is it just me or does everyone who drives a Wrangler have your left side belt loop ripped off by the door latch?

HA!
I get my backmost belt loop ripped off by the body side portion of my door latch. This is on my TJ.

It happens to me every 6 months or so. I'll go to jump in my jeep quickly, and get yanked back.

Well , I guess that is an advantage of owning a cj5. Mounting and dismounting the drivers or passengers seat dosen't entail being concerned getting caught on a door latch as many cj5's may not have mounted hard door except for soft top doors which don't seem to be an issue to this degree . That being said , the cj7 , YJ and TJ all sport the user friendly driver and passenger door entry which is what most are accustomed to on autos and trucks.
Although the popularity of the easier entry and departing has much been solved ( cj7's and wranglers ) , yes , the rather tight door opening is still an issue. Let's face it , it's still a rather small vehicle and this issue is still going to happen given our differences regarding stature and flexibility.
Everyone loves ( well, most do ) the cj5 but not everyone is comfortable getting in and out of one. I was reminded of that when I bought my first last year . Haven't climbed into one much since I was in my teens . I quickly adapted to the art of it since I was very anxious to own the jeep.
The one thing I've noticed upon jeep owners and wrangler owners in particular is the need for bigger tires and lift . This contributes to the task of entering and climbing out of in terms of , I'll call it , extra work .
its not helpful to move the seat forward to clear the door latch so we have our own set method of getting in and out of our jeep.
Hard door latches seem to be notably more an issue since the hardware is a bit larger than a soft door.
The addition of steps may add to the problem since developing the knack to go left over right or opposite depending driver or passenger adds to the task. The step is supposed to help but may sometimes be a hinder. Steps are best on lifted jeeps and not usually necessary on stock height , depending on ones height and inseam of course.
not meaning to bring attention to an owners size but jeepers come in all shapes and sizes so we all have our advantages and disadvantages.
although I haven't researched different latches and post options , there may be parts available that are more user friendly . If this has happened to both of you , it no doubt is a well known and probably cliche'd thing . It's likely the aftermarket has this beat and maybe there is a solution for our woes. I know of none but haven't researches either not having the issue. Having to climb into and out of a cj5 on a good day when my lower back isn't acting up is my only problem .
if it's any consolation , I do experience the excessive wear and tear on the seat of my pants rubbing against the jeeps body curve where the gas tank filler neck would be depending on model year.
everyone who has seen or ridden in my cj5 . Has only that issue. It's stock height on '31's so no real lift to speak of.
I know this thread wasn't meant to be a comparison of CJ5 versus wrangler but I thought since the issue exists between both door openings , I would write this post to include any potential future would be owners of either jeep to be aware of this need to to become accustomed to . You don't have to be acrobatically inclined or even a contortionist but it may be helpful.
For all else and others with this issue , maybe we should consider yoga ? Just a thought .

Last edited:
HA!
I get my backmost belt loop ripped off by the body side portion of my door latch. This is on my TJ.

It happens to me every 6 months or so. I'll go to jump in my jeep quickly, and get yanked back.

Whew! I thought it was just me. I found if I just cut the belt loops off I don't have to worry about it. I'll consider the missing loops a badge of honor.

I think there is a thread on belt loops somewhere. iirc it's funny.

The worst times is when it is the bottom of the loop that rips off and takes a chunk of pant material with it. Now you get a good view of what's underneath. :-/

Gee wiz , this could get serious ! Imagine getting a citation for indecent exposure ? " but officer , I was just climbing out of my jeep when it happened , honest !" We've got to do something ! Hey , remember when Levi made jeep seat material for the CJ's ? Wonder if they would be interested in " jeep wear" ! Tough , durable outerwear to fit Jeeper lifestyle , without belt loops ! Just a thought . :scratch:

Had this happen to a friend at the dealership when looking for jeeps, except it ripped the pants, not just the belt loop.

Back