Is this a bad ujoint?

TerryMason

Administrator
Staff member
I rebuilt the front driveshaft about 8000 miles ago using all spicer parts. I've now got a nice little squeak. Spraying WD40 on it stops the squeak short term. Is this a failed ujoint or something else?

I rebuilt the front driveshaft about 8000 miles ago using all spicer parts. I've now got a nice little squeak. Spraying WD40 on it stops the squeak short term. Is this a failed ujoint or something else? Video Link: https://youtu.be/fUp5jk1ihvg

Sounds like it. Did you use anything other than Spicer grease? They have a special grease that will not erode their joints.

Any movement in the joints

Sounds like it. Did you use anything other than Spicer grease? They have a special grease that will not erode their joints.

Any movement in the joints

I've never had good luck greasing u-joints (fitting my gun on the nipple) so this time I bought joints without grease fittings. I just took them out of the box and installed them.

I couldn't feel any movement in the joints.

If you could just spray with penetrating oil and the noise goes away the seals are leaking or damaged. You will likely find dry bearings.

If you could just spray with penetrating oil and the noise goes away the seals are leaking or damaged. You will likely find dry bearings.

bummer. That's pretty much what I expected. Guess I'll be ordering some more ujoints.

I've never seen a ujoint like this, but it looks exactly like what I need (with the grease fitting on the cup):

http://www.amazon.com/Spicer-5-1310-1X-U-Joint-Kit/dp/B00DOI8CV4

61Z5fAMMbYL._SL1500_.jpg

Have you ever used one like this?

A squeak is likely the centering ball in the double cardan joint. The ujoints are fine if you just replaced them.

It will require dis-assembly to properly grease the centering ball. Left unserviced the double cardan joint will grenade and take out the transfer case.

A squeak is likely the centering ball in the double cardan joint. The ujoints are fine if you just replaced them. It will require dis-assembly to properly grease the centering ball. Left unserviced the double cardan joint will grenade and take out the transfer case.

While I agree on the new are likely fine idea, if the seals were damaged or the wrong grease used joints will erode and dry out. He will likely be taking it apart to correct we we will find out soon enough.

In general the ball should be replaced when rebuilding a double cardan joint.

And oops I called it a CV joint.

This is your culprit. They make a rebuild kit that includes a new ball, spring, and seal. Most parts counter jockeys can't find them in the system, but auto parts outlets carry them.
1393719743_SPICER211544X-JeepCVGreaseableCenteringYoke1310Series.jpg

I used a new centering kit when I swapped out the joints - everything has about 8k miles.
Having said that, I didn't do any additional lubrication on the centering pin. Is there a lubrication process that I missed out on (there was some factory grease that held the spring in).

http://www.jeepz.com/forum/drivetrain/45399-jeep-front-driveshaft-cv-dual-cardan-rebuild.html

20670d1433116236t-jeep-front-driveshaft-cv-dual-cardan-rebuild-33-ball-centering-unit.jpg

20671d1433116236t-jeep-front-driveshaft-cv-dual-cardan-rebuild-34-socket-yoke-assembly.jpg

I don't think the wd40 fixed anything, but I hit the outside of the shaft with some and the squeak went right away - that makes me think that it's probably a ujoint. I'd be surprised if any wd40 made it all the way in to lubricate the ball.

I couldn't see if your centering cap or unjointed had grease fittings.

Forgot to answer this - there are no grease fittings on my new ujoints. I didn't add any grease to any item when I rebuilt the shaft - the ujoints and centering pins are all without grease fittings.

You should always grease the ujoints during install, as well as the centering ball. The stuff used during manufacturing and shipping isn't adequate.

You should always grease the ujoints during install, as well as the centering ball. The stuff used during manufacturing and shipping isn't adequate.

I've done that in the past when the joints have grease fittings, but since the joints and centering ball didn't have grease fittings I didn't see a way to do that. Do I just need to pull each cap off and push grease in with my finger?

With your documentation I'd maybe go back to the company. They will likely help you given their knowledge and documentation on the web.

I only know of three types of U joints: the one that has the zert fitting for a std. grease gun, the one without (you can disassemble it and put grease into the cups, but its designed to be replaced} and one I recently found on a Bronco 11 - it has a very small hole to pump in grease with a needle gun ( I used a chain saw tip roller grease gun). good luck - vin

I've never seen a ujoint like this, but it looks exactly like what I need (with the grease fitting on the cup):

Amazon.com: Spicer 5-1310-1X U-Joint Kit: Automotive

View attachment 21397

Have you ever used one like this?

The double Cardan joint on my front shaft has a flush fitting on each cap . If such a fitting can be obtained for the caps on that joint , that will be perfect . Can be greased with a proper fitting grease needle. The threaded side of the fitting is small on my caps and these appear to be the larger size.
also , I have C - clips which snap to the cap inside the yokes . Truly don't know if they are still are available . This is the first four wheel drive I haven't had to rebuild them on , yet.

Last edited:
Many times , u-joints , ball joints and tie rod ends are shipped with threaded plugs installed where the grease fittings go . The grease fittings can be installed when time to grease and the plugs re-installed afterwards. This will eliminate the worry of a fitting being broken off off-road and such. No worries of balance issues in either case. There doesn't seem to be the concern of clearance to reach fittings from the video such as on my model year. That's good.

I called Spicer technical support yesterday and talked to a guy who seemed pretty knowledgeable. I gave him my part numbers, and he confirmed that the ujoints and centering ball were all non-greasable (they have no zerk fittings). I told him that when I put everything together I didn't add any grease. He said that all spicer non-greasable components come from the factory with grease, and that none "should" need to be added - essentially that I've done everything right, and most likely just hit some bad luck.

His opinion is that the centering ball needs to be lubricated. He said just open it up and push some grease in with my finger and put everything back together.

He went on to say that he believes they sell more non-greasable ujoints than ujoints with zerk fittings, and for the vast majority of applications they do great.

So, last night in the cold I pulled my front driveshaft. I'll lube it up and install it before my April wheeling trip - hopefully it will get above freezing sometime before then.

Back