Is this legal?

The only reason I would go to a Honda dealership is to buy a motorcycle but scams are illegal and you should file a civil lawsuit against them

OK Listen up because this happened to my daughter, She cam home from dealer with a Lincoln mdx. She has great credit but does not show much income! What the dealer did was called spot delivery, Its not only to let you fall in love with the car but that { in the mean time while they try to sell your loan to a bank} your not out looking at other cars, Low and behold told three days later she needs the good Ole cosigner Me! NOT. I went rite to the dealer with her and told them I worked for dealerships for a good part of my life. I know what the spot delivery is and I think it sucks you let my child fall in love with a car she can not have. They said " Her credit is at 740 which is great but because she did not have the rite income no bank would finance her without the cosign, so after me yelling in the showroom for a little bit the guy says he can do a 2011 KIA for her without a cosine because KIA would finance threw there dealership. It was Friday!!!!! We took a spot delivery drove out again without the loan being secured.. We just happened to have a family wedding this weekend in the next state over so I think when we returned it it was at 1097 miles it was at 8 miles when we left the showroom Friday,, NICE.. Monday they call Guess what KIA wont finance her either,, We bring back the car get a deposit she put down and her tradin back. This time though at the idiotdelership I just shook my head.. There going to loose on that deal not us..HAHA. Free car for the weekend. My doughtier was upset but she did not loose a cent. Upon further research that I did I found out in Ma. that if they cannot get you financed they cant charge you for anything. I should have put it on jack stands and let it run 24/7

Last edited:

I should have put it on jack stands and let it ran 27/7

I'd like to see you do this. I know I've tried squeezing a more things in one day. But you could get more hours out of one. You'll have to teach me that trick. :D

To the OP: Did they sign over the title to you? Did they put tags in your name on it or register it... what ever your state requires for a new auto, done in your name?

Last edited:
Ok so here is what happened. I called them and made a big deal about all of it. Made threats and the like in a very vulger way. Talked them down another $700 for the inconvenience of me doing their job (financing). I was able to walk in, pay cash, make a little ruckus and ultimately walk away in much better shape than before.
Thank you all for the advice. I used a few points you guys made to them with profanity of course and they couldn't wait to get me out of there.
So all is good. I got the Jeep. They took a shot in the wallet (got the Jeep $1500 cheaper than BB) and I am happy now;-)
Thanks again all.

I didn't read all the responses, to the OP;
some banks can reserve the right to deny financing to someone if the vehicle is over 10 years and you are not a member of the bank. easy way around it is to join a credit union or a certain bank and then they will almost always finance you if your credit is in good standing order.

and yes, the dealership made a mistake, but they can ask for the vehicle back, technically you received a vehicle that you have not paid for.

I'd like to see you do this. I know I've tried squeezing a more things in one day. But you could get more hours out of one. You'll have to teach me that trick. :D

To the OP: Did they sign over the title to you? Did they put tags in your name on it or register it... what ever your state requires for a new auto, done in your name?
The title stays with the financer. And yes there are 27 hours in my day!!

I didn't read all the responses, to the OP;
some banks can reserve the right to deny financing to someone if the vehicle is over 10 years and you are not a member of the bank. easy way around it is to join a credit union or a certain bank and then they will almost always finance you if your credit is in good standing order.

and yes, the dealership made a mistake, but they can ask for the vehicle back, technically you received a vehicle that you have not paid for.
The dealership did not make a mistake, They do this all the time. Of course the salesman does not want to call you and say we don't have a deal, you have to bring the car back, this is the last thing they want. But there are hundreds of banks they can hang out your loan too, but that does take time. And they know if your in the car driving it and fall in love with it, you will do whatever it takes to own that car. This is a known practice and has been for years. Also if you reach a deal at a certian % rate with the salesman walk out ! The salesman is not the bank, The bank will set the % rate. Often dealers will screw you on this too.

Upon further research it turns out they can do this. From what I have found this is very common with this dealer. They let you take the car so you get attached to it. Then call you back saying you gotta go back in cuz financing didn't go thru and fill out new contract for higher amount either down or total. Its called a "on the spot delivery scam" and they know from the get go weather or not you qualify but they let you take it anyway so you will be more willing to pay more.
In short it turns out this is common practice for Honda dealerships. So stay away from them unless you have cash in hand. Tempe Honda at Tempe autoplex is a huge no no and stay away. They also knew it had a bad alternator and didn't say anything.

something like that happened to me 8 months ago when i bought my jeep. i bought mine from a honda dealer too, after i gave them cash for a down payment they were detailing it before giving it to me, and they found a crack in the radiator. so i had to wait a few days for them to fix it. once i finally got the Jeep, they called me up and said that i couldn't be approved for the loan. (this is after we did the paper work and i gave them money) they said if i couldn't prove i made a certain amount of money they would have to take the jeep back. eventually i was approved, but was a big pain in the ***. i never went back to them, even though they told me i had to have repairs done at their dealership.

That sucks but it can happen.Many times they check your credit its ok and the bank wont finance the total amount charged to you.
Check blue book and a car fax.
My daughter and son in law traded in a 2005 dodge charger on a good used suburban due to relocating down a dirt road,anyway the charger had a small dent in the rear quarter panel needed tires and brakes.
29 days later the credit company called my daughter and said her payment on the charger was almost 30 days overdue whereas she then went to the suburban dealer(cormier Chevrolet) and was told the same as you.
She got the charger back fixed and detailed with new brakes and tires.
They wanted 2000.00 for the work I told them to pound sand as my daughter never authorized it!!
I then had them deliver the charger back to her and pick up the suburban which they got back dirty and with spilled sippy cup milk on the carpet.
They then retraded the charger at a greater trade in value for a later model 4x4 suburban.

Maybe you can get your Nissan back like that!!!
GOOD LUCK-More dealers more cars!

Wow.... what an unfortunate story! With that said, this Jeep is not meant to be. I passed many sweet jeeps on my way to the love of my life. I say DITCH the bad gf and move on to another

I'd just give them back their Jeep and move on.

Any chance you'll get out of this without spending any cash?

OH NO!!! Took me 3 years to find the right jeep, we were able to get financed elsewhere and got them to drop the price a bit, so it all worked out. But I couldn't pass up a 99 GC with only 57K, interior is still like new, not even worn seats! But its mine now, so all is good!

But yes stay away from Tempe Honda!

I'd get a lawyer if you already have all the paperwork signed then I don't see how they can legally do that.

Back