jeep broke down on me for the first time

superj

my oldest son and i were driving to soccer practice and we had just gotten on the highway to hop down to the next exit and my son goes "something stinks." i agreed and commented that it smelled like antifreeze. we rode for a minute or two and the smell wasn;t going away so i commented that i hoped it wasn't us. :-| i started eyeing the temp gauge and noticed it slowly creeping upwards past the first line above 1/4. i said that i thought it was us and hit our exit and flew around the u-turn and killed it while coasting in to the gas station. sure enough, as i roll up to the water/air machine, steam is pouring from under the hood. :shock:
i pop the hood and find that smaller diameter hose from the thermostat housing to the intake is torn at the clamp, like it was on too tight. so i tell my son to start the jeep and roll it up while i put .75 cents (what a damn rip off, .75 cents for about 4 minutes of water at a dribble) in the machine and put the tip in the radiator. i filled hte radiator back up and Jason told me the temps were down to where they normally were at so i told him to kill it so i can fix the hose.
i pull the hose off and trim that first 1" off and put it back on and Jason starts it again while i watch the radiator (had hte cap off still). suddenly water is spraying from the dang hose again so i look a bit closer and realize whoever put this engine together failed to put that piece of abrasion protection around the hose and it has worn through at the point where it rubs on the valve cover :x.

20111003183812-1.jpg

so, now we are kind of screwed. i have the hose back at the house, in the shed but the wife is at football practice with my youngest son, Jarrod and cannot bring the hose. :rolleyes: fine, we'll run down the feeder road because its only two exits up. Jason and i start jogging and walk/jog the two exits in about 15 minutes, thinking hte car quest closes at 1800 and we would have to go another two exits to orielly's if we didn't move it along. we got to car quest at 1802 and are so glad the sign says they close at 1900 :D. we go in and buy our piece of "cut to size" three :shock: foot long piece of hose and start walking back.

20111003183834-1.jpg

we get back and the jeep is not vandalized, so i am happy :D, and we pop the hood and take the old hose, lay it next to the super sized new one, and cut to size. this time though, we cut the old hose and put it around the new hose at the point of abrasion, like should have been there to begin with. :x

20111003183824-1.jpg

and install it on the jeep again. now, another dang .75 cents for stupid valero's dribble of gas :x and rev the engine a bit to remove air and make sure no little other leaks and we are heading home :shades: for the evening.

well, that was my first break down in the old 87 wrangler. it never got past the half on the gauge and we took care of the issue with a fairly long jog/walk and luckily we have tools in the ammo can in back,

20110402182529-1.jpg

or we would probably had to wait for hte espousa to get us the stuff and run it out to where we would've been horribly bored.

as you can tell, i enjoy writing and can make stories that would be a 5 minute talk into long tales :D:D:D but, the jeep is home and so are we with no damage to either us, or good ol wrangler dangler

Good thing it was just soccer practice;-) and not a game....
And since when is football more important than fútbol ?
Oh yeah... Glad the jeeps okay, too!

[☠]lllllll[☠] 89 YJ ...SOA +6.5...44"Trxus' I Love my dirtYJeep! [☠]lllllll[☠]

Back