jeep is shorting

jeeperjoe

i was trying to jump my jeep today, after a new dash install, and no start and some smoke from the negative battery terminal. i am assuming there is a positive grounding out somewhere. it did this before the new dash and i thought it was some bad wiring under the dash. i know the problem isnt under the dash. it must be somewhere else. the cable doesnt smoke when connected right to the battery. does anyone have any guesses as to where i might check for the short???

Just to let EVERYBODY know...the problem was actually not a shorting problem, but the starter was junk. Put in the new starter, and woah!! NO smoke!...but still no start.

KC lights Round or Square (Prefer black)

Try recharging your battery. Does your engine turn with the new starter? Have youyr battery tested at Autozone just to make sure that is not your problem.-al

Exactly how is it not start? is it cranking but not running? ~
That is probably something in the ignition. Make sure you timing is not too radical, the distibuter is in securly, your firing order is proper. Next address fuel. is it there. You might want to consider a electric fuel pump/pressure regulator set up.

If it is not cranking then~
I know you guys live on a flat street, can you clutch start that bad boy? or is it a auto? Do you know what year that 350 is? Most carborated 350's will have fusable links between the battery, and starter (the predecessor to Maxi Fuses) check the voltage at the starter. if you don't feel safe being UNDER the jeep when starting it, you might want to rig up a jumper just to make sure. Go pick up a 20 amp maxi fuse and some spare battery cable wire in between the battery and the starter. try to crank. It should crank for about a second then blow the fuse. If this is what happens, you have some bad fusable links.
All else fails, I will be at your house sunday and help as much as I can, But I NEED to watch the Dayton 500!

the new starter works awesome. cranks way better and doesnt drain the battery like it did b4. i was under the impression that starters either turn or they dont. the problem i have now is the timing. its way out of wack. i retimed it a few times, even moved the wires one spot in each direction. it still spits out the carb. i think there is a bigger problem. maybe to much slack in the chain, worn cam, or misaligned cam. im gonna mess around with it today.

yeah, its running. not sure where the timing is supposed to be, but its set @ 8 BTC. but it started leaking a little oil. i planned on doin a timing gasket and a pan gasket, but i think i might as well do the front seal too. needs a pressure hose to the steering too. among other things.

Awesome!! wicked cool! While you are in there, might want to consider replacing the timeing chain! 8 degree retarded and having the starting problems you do would leave me to believe that the timing chain has way too much slack! when you pull the cover, if the chain has any more than a 1.2 of play, replace! if you need any help, either you ro laura give me a holla! I can be there in no time!

Later gator!

Back