Jeep J10

LRwrnglr

I have a buddy that just inherited a J10 but he can't figure out what engine he has in it. He doesn't think its the 360 because theres too much room in the engine bay. Is there any way to find out what he has in it? Thanks

LR

Here's a J10 bay with a 401 engine:

Attachments

• 410.jpg
    410.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 12,196

not sure how much thos photos will help, but I figured I'd try.

I haven't seen the truck yet so I don't even know what it looks like, haha. But he said he thinks its either a 304 or......he said that they made a 258 v8?? I haven't ever heard of it so I dont know. But thanks for the help

LR

Yeah I know that they made a 258 straight 6 that went into the CJ's but my buddy swayers that they made a 258 v8

LR

Externally the 304 360 and 401 v8 looks pretty much the same. Pretty sure they had the displacement cast into the block or intake in large bold numbers.
image-missing.png

I've seen more 360/auto's with quadratrac close to where I live than any other kind, I have yet to find another 258/4spd. I'am still amazed at the power this engine puts out.

Last edited:
304 360 and 401 v8's all share the same accessory drive and I think externally the blocks are pretty much the same.

He also wants to know if there is anyplace he can find a vacuum diagram so he can get his quadratrac figured out. He does have the lockers but they don't work all the time and he wants to get it figured out so we can go wheelin.

LR

the harmonic balancer is different on the 304,360 401.look it up and that is the easy way to find out what you have .providing it,s original.

Back